2017 F-150 and Lance 825

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GregALewis

Thinking about buying 2017 F-150 and used Lance 825.
Ford sticker says #7050 GVWR.
Any thoughts?

What is the payload? The camper is 2150 wet which is what you need to be concerned with. Now add your wife, the dog, a full tank of gas and any other essentials and see if you are still a reasonable distance from the maximum.

Years ago I wanted a camper. My 2006 ford F150 4 wheeler was about a year old. Went into a Lance dealer and came out with a top of the line Lance camper. Don't remember the model number but it was nice. AND ALSO TOO HEAVY for my truck. They installed industrial strength air bags to kep the bed from sagging. This thing scared me to drive it..and if the wind was blowing forget it!!! Took it back to the dealer and lost 4k. This was after 6 months. You need at least an f250 to handle these heavy campers....Still have the truck it pulls the boat with no problem.....

Depends on the precise truck.  The rough max payload of a f-150 is 2300.  By the time you load up the camper and your truck I don't see it happening.

I don't think i have ever seen a 1/2 ton truck carrying a "regular" truck camper.

I see most 1/2 ton trucks with a load of firewood dragging their bumpers.

I had a (granted an older heavier model) truck camper on my 3/4 dodge with helper springs (a beast BTW) and it barely squated, and handled it beautifully.

I really doubt there are too many (if any) 1/2 ton trucks that can safely haul a standard truck bed camper.

Miss that camper BTW.
It was small, but it would go anywhere.

Truck camper magazine states that the wet weight is this.
Lance 825: dry weight, 1,837 pounds + 30 gallons fresh, 250.2 pounds + 6 gallon full hot water heater, 50 pounds + 20-pound full propane tank, 20 pounds + 1 battery, 65 pounds + stuff, 500 pounds = 2,722.2 pounds.

Just for reference...the numbers stated against my F350...Id have 900lbs left over. As ilong as only 2 people were in it, I wouldnt be maxed out. And thats a 1 ton truck. May want you look at used 1 tons if sold on that particular camper.

Had a 2002 Lance 815 atop a 2013 F150 XL.  The camper was supposed to weigh about 1850 lbs and the payload of my truck about 2200 lbs.  Put some air bags under the rear leaf springs and installed a 7 pin connection and did a couple trips.  The truck did feel HEAVY with the camper on and I suspect it was at the upper end of its ability to haul the camper.  Main problem is the OEM tires which are rated for about 2300 lbs and had those tires pumped up to 42 PSI which is what is called for with max payload.  They didn't look like they liked all the weight.  Didn't have a problem with the wind and handling was OK but I had the 3.7 Flex engine and 6 sp. automatic and that combo was never intended for a lot of weight.  While the enigne has good horsepower, it has no torque. 

That said, if you put some air bags on and 10 ply tires and get the towing package (wide mirrors and 7 pin connector) and larger engine, you will probably be in OK territory.  I ended up buying a 1996 F250 with 460 V8 and it can tow and haul a battleship.  IF you can afford a 2nd truck and have patience, perhaps an older dedicated haul truck makes sense.  I sold the camper, by the way, as it was CROWDED with two of us and my wife and I got sick of crawling up into the cabover bed and the dinette as horribly uncomfortable.  Bought a 21 ft pull trailer and it really fits our needs better.

Attachments

• sigpic.jpg
    sigpic.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 16
You could MAYBE get a Outfitter or similar small popup TC with no overhang and be within weight, but nothing else.  I have a bigfoot, 8.2 smallest camper they make on a Chevy 2500 and am about 400 lbs over payload, but under the tire and axles weights.  Use Torklift stableloads to calm things down and Active suspension to keep the arse end level.

Many folks seriously overload their truck, and the problem is that they are so powerful and beefy that they get away with it.  It's up to you, of course, but I don't think it would be a comfortable ride.

I wish I had gone with a 1 ton, when I got my truck, but there it is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom