Newbie with solar/generator question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amastro46

Hey folks, been lurking this forum for a little while now.  Anyways, I have a predicament.  I have a 2013 ram 1500 and a brand new keystone hideout 177lhs.  I live I  Wyoming, but I am going to moving to Kalispell, Montana in mid April. I am moving to a friend's newly acquired 400 acre off grid property.

So I am very keen to set up 2 or three solar panels, but I can't decide if I should get a generator first.  I am looking at the 2000 watt inverter type generators. My research has showed me that I'll need some type of 3 stage battery charger to charge my 80 ah battery.  I would also need a larger battery bank, but I'm not sure if I can add too much more weight to my trucks tongue capacity (lots of gear in bed and homemade roof rack and winch bumper add lots of weight). 

No TV or microwave use, no hair dryer.  Fridge, range, and heat are run off of propane. 

I am a bit concerned about keeping my tanks from freezing. I might consider putting those heating pads on them.

Basically my question is, should I start out with generator or solar? Either route, I want to buy a 100 ah battery.  Can I store an AGM battery inside the trailer while not being used or charged? Maybe once parked, I could put the battery next to my trailer's tongue and hook it up.

I just feel like there is so much info, and I am just looking for the most feasible route.  I'll probably be getting both eventually, but any advice is appreciated!!

Thanks so much,
Anthony

Also, if anyone could recommend the exact device I would need to charge my battery from a 2000 watt generator (I am looking at the yamaha clone "Wen 56200i").  And also perhaps a battery that would be good to use in conjunction.

Hi and welcome to the forum.  What a great area to be living in.  I can't help with your question, but I am sure several others can and will be along shortly to do so.  :)

Safe travels and let us know how you get on in your new abode.

Welcome to the forums, Anthony. Were it me, I'd start with a generator, which works at night and in heavy overcast. Then I'd consider getting a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries (wired in series) to replace that 80 amp hour job, which won't provide power for long. Being new, the converter in your rig should be able to charge the battery by plugging the trailer into the generator, just as if you had a wall plug. Depending on the plug type(s) on the generator, you might need an adapter.

Those heating pads will draw some juice (apparently they are available in both AC and DC versions), and that 80 amp hour battery won't last the night. For that matter, the furnace fan probably will run that 80 amp hour battery down well before the night is over. Since there's very little insulation in that trailer, and since you're going to be off the grid, I suspect you'll need to winterize the trailer for the winter, meaning there will be no water available, and you'll probably need to run the generator a good chunk of the night just to keep warm, which probably means getting an add-on, larger gas tank for it. You'll also want to put skirts around the base of the trailer, after it's parked, to help keep the wind out and minimize the cold that gets under your trailer.

And if you're off the grid, are you going to have to move the trailer every few days to find a place to dump? That won't be very practical with some of the snows that Kalispell gets.

These are my initial thoughts after reading your post, but I expect others will soon elaborate and add some other things to watch for.

I'd also suggest you peruse our library (link near the top of the page), which has lots of information about a variety of RV-related subjects.

Larry said a lot of the same things I would have said.

I'll add a few.

Are you sure you want to live OFF GRID full time?

No water hook up means you would be using your water pump for any water usage.
Your propane tank (for the furnace and hot water heater) might be depleted every few days or weeks depending on Winter temps.
Do you have a refrigerator and freezer?  Another propane use item I assume if no electric service available.
No TV - OK  But I would assume then a computer and cell phone with needs for recharging.

Do you plan on parking at the edge of the property?  So you can move the Travel Trailer once a week or so for
fresh water and a dump without having to be plowed out during the Winter?

No microwave?  Do you have an oven and stovetop?

Most all Air Conditioning units I know of run on electric.  There are almost no Solar systems for RV's that would run any AC for very long.

If you are for sure you are going to do this - then a Wind generator might be something worth looking into.

Good luck with your move.

I agree with Larry. I love our solar setup, and we rely heavily on it, but the vast majority of our camping is in Southern California and Arizona where it's (usually) pretty sunny. I used to live in Polson, which is on the opposite side of Flathead Lake from Kalispel (Beautiful country, by the way.) In the winter, that part of the country doesn't get anywhere near as many sunny days as we do, and when it is sunny, the sun is much lower in the sky. Solar just isn't as effective up there as it is at more southern latitudes.

Even if you were going to be doing some long term camping down here, I'd still recommend getting a generator before investing much in solar. Generator power is available 24 hours a day, whereas solar power is available for roughly 6 hours a day, and that's only if the sun shines.

Kev 

As others said generator would be your primary source. Get a 3000w and set it up for propane. Flooded lead acid batteries are not good in cold below freezing temps. AGM's will be ok inside I have this one https://www.vmaxtanks.com/SLR200-AGM-Solar-Battery-_p_157.html If you  use cheaper flooded then build a battery box outside below TT and keep them warm. Solar up there will only supplement generator charging. Start with 300-400 watts of panels with 200-300ahr battery bank. EP Solar controller 4215BN      https://www.amazon.com/SolarEpic-Charge-Controller-Tracer-4215BN/dp/B00YCI48F4/ref=pd_sbs_86_t_2/166-4934511-0706052?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N6ZMBHNDVFC0GRHPQGK7
Meter https://www.amazon.com/SolarEpic-Remote-Display-Suitable-Controller/dp/B00YAB0UVO/ref=pd_bxgy_86_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00YAB0UVO&pd_rd_r=QASBNJGNN6NT6QZTZRK6&pd_rd_w=YuEyD&pd_rd_wg=pKEjp&psc=1&refRID=QASBNJGNN6NT6QZTZRK6
Temp probe https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Temperature-Sensor-Monitoring-adapter/dp/B016RU8JUY/ref=pd_bxgy_86_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B016RU8JUY&pd_rd_r=QASBNJGNN6NT6QZTZRK6&pd_rd_w=YuEyD&pd_rd_wg=pKEjp&psc=1&refRID=QASBNJGNN6NT6QZTZRK6
Trailers converter is not a charger it just maintains a voltage they all under charge 80 ahr batteries and can not handle larger charging duties.   

Larry N. said:
Welcome to the forums, Anthony. Were it me, I'd start with a generator, which works at night and in heavy overcast. Then I'd consider getting a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries (wired in series) to replace that 80 amp hour job, which won't provide power for long. Being new, the converter in your rig should be able to charge the battery by plugging the trailer into the generator, just as if you had a wall plug. Depending on the plug type(s) on the generator, you might need an adapter.

Those heating pads will draw some juice (apparently they are available in both AC and DC versions), and that 80 amp hour battery won't last the night. For that matter, the furnace fan probably will run that 80 amp hour battery down well before the night is over. Since there's very little insulation in that trailer, and since you're going to be off the grid, I suspect you'll need to winterize the trailer for the winter, meaning there will be no water available, and you'll probably need to run the generator a good chunk of the night just to keep warm, which probably means getting an add-on, larger gas tank for it. You'll also want to put skirts around the base of the trailer, after it's parked, to help keep the wind out and minimize the cold that gets under your trailer.

And if you're off the grid, are you going to have to move the trailer every few days to find a place to dump? That won't be very practical with some of the snows that Kalispell gets.

These are my initial thoughts after reading your post, but I expect others will soon elaborate and add some other things to watch for.

I'd also suggest you peruse our library (link near the top of the page), which has lots of information about a variety of RV-related subjects.

Larry, I appreciate the in depth response!  Thank you for confirming that I should get a generator to begin with.  I'll check out some of those 6v batteries.  I'm sure I'll be fine for most of the spring, summer, and fall, but the heating pads would be used for the winter, so I do have some time to come up with a plan. I didn't even think about the heater fan using up so much electricity.  I did think about the aspect of dumping waste during the winter... I definitely have some things to work out.  Really appreciate the feedback!!

Kevin Means said:
I agree with Larry. I love our solar setup, and we rely heavily on it, but the vast majority of our camping is in Southern California and Arizona where it's (usually) pretty sunny. I used to live in Polson, which is on the opposite side of Flathead Lake from Kalispel (Beautiful country, by the way.) In the winter, that part of the country doesn't get anywhere near as many sunny days as we do, and when it is sunny, the sun is much lower in the sky. Solar just isn't as effective up there as it is at more southern latitudes.

Even if you were going to be doing some long term camping down here, I'd still recommend getting a generator before investing much in solar. Generator power is available 24 hours a day, whereas solar power is available for roughly 6 hours a day, and that's only if the sun shines.

Kev

Hey Kev,
You definitely brought up some of the concerns I had with using solar.  Perhaps I'll wait on the solar and learn a bit more of how to properly set a good system up.  One good this is that I do have plenty of real estate on my tt roof.  I am very excited to check out the beautiful couple try near flathead.  Thank you so much for the info!

Wireman134 said:
As others said generator would be your primary source. Get a 3000w and set it up for propane. Flooded lead acid batteries are not good in cold below freezing temps. AGM's will be ok inside I have this one https://www.vmaxtanks.com/SLR200-AGM-Solar-Battery-_p_157.html If you  use cheaper flooded then build a battery box outside below TT and keep them warm. Solar up there will only supplement generator charging. Start with 300-400 watts of panels with 200-300ahr battery bank. EP Solar controller 4215BN      https://www.amazon.com/SolarEpic-Charge-Controller-Tracer-4215BN/dp/B00YCI48F4/ref=pd_sbs_86_t_2/166-4934511-0706052?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N6ZMBHNDVFC0GRHPQGK7
Meter https://www.amazon.com/SolarEpic-Remote-Display-Suitable-Controller/dp/B00YAB0UVO/ref=pd_bxgy_86_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00YAB0UVO&pd_rd_r=QASBNJGNN6NT6QZTZRK6&pd_rd_w=YuEyD&pd_rd_wg=pKEjp&psc=1&refRID=QASBNJGNN6NT6QZTZRK6
Temp probe https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Temperature-Sensor-Monitoring-adapter/dp/B016RU8JUY/ref=pd_bxgy_86_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B016RU8JUY&pd_rd_r=QASBNJGNN6NT6QZTZRK6&pd_rd_w=YuEyD&pd_rd_wg=pKEjp&psc=1&refRID=QASBNJGNN6NT6QZTZRK6
Trailers converter is not a charger it just maintains a voltage they all under charge 80 ahr batteries and can not handle larger charging duties. 
Hey wireman, 
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely get a generator first.  I am little confused on the last part of your response. So will my generator not be able to charge my batteries?  Thank you

RedandSilver said:
Larry said a lot of the same things I would have said.

I'll add a few.

Are you sure you want to live OFF GRID full time?

No water hook up means you would be using your water pump for any water usage.
Your propane tank (for the furnace and hot water heater) might be depleted every few days or weeks depending on Winter temps.
Do you have a refrigerator and freezer?  Another propane use item I assume if no electric service available.
No TV - OK  But I would assume then a computer and cell phone with needs for recharging.

Do you plan on parking at the edge of the property?  So you can move the Travel Trailer once a week or so for
fresh water and a dump without having to be plowed out during the Winter?

No microwave?  Do you have an oven and stovetop?

Most all Air Conditioning units I know of run on electric.  There are almost no Solar systems for RV's that would run any AC for very long.

If you are for sure you are going to do this - then a Wind generator might be something worth looking into.

Good luck with your move.

Hey redandsilver,

You mention some very good think to consider.  As of right now I will be totally off grid, at least for spring, summer, and fall.  I have a microwave, but I don't think I'll be using it, I do have a cell phone and computer that I will be using. The fridge is propane.  For the winter I may have to consider trailer placement for ease of dumping.  I might just have to see if I can winter live in one of the cabins we are going to refurbish during the spring.

Thanks for all the consideration!

jackiemac said:
Hi and welcome to the forum.  What a great area to be living in.  I can't help with your question, but I am sure several others can and will be along shortly to do so.  :)

Safe travels and let us know how you get on in your new abode.
Thank you!

Would this be a good battery for my application
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00S1RT58C/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488775805&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Agm+battery&dpPl=1&dpID=51iIVSR%2B4uL&ref=plSrch#nav-search-keywords

Amastro46 said:
Hey wireman, 
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely get a generator first.  I am little confused on the last part of your response. So will my generator not be able to charge my batteries?  Thank you

If using a generator as shore power (plugged in to trailer). The converter is a piss poor charger unless you upgrade it. If you run the battery bank down past say 80% the converter will not fully recharge your bank and over time will shorten battery life. This Progressive unit if a good upgrade.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OR4242/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2KIZSKFBYRXN4&coliid=I20D4F0OJTIVZ1
But you might want to get a solar set up that will monitor the battery bank and supplement the insisting converter. The 4215BN will do with one 150w panel to start then expand as needed. Those China batteries might be ok. But that one is way to small it won't last a night with the furnace fan running. Get a Buddy heater for that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom