looking for info on best tow rig for my family and camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yogi

Hello i'm new to this and i'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 2011 flagstaff 30wtbs currently towing with f 150 and wife follows me with the rest of the family. Need something that seats 8 and tows my camper. kids are small for now.

Ford E350 passanger van would be darn near ideal. Just dont get one of the extended ones as they are prone to handling problems.

I heard the Nissan Armada were a good tow rig. Any idea on that.

For 8 people? Please!
If you want to haul 8 get the correct vehicle.  An 8 passanger full sized van will accomodate the family and tow a reasonable sized trailer.  SUVs might in a pinch handle the family, but once the family is on board you will have ZERO left over capacoty for hitch weight.

That TT gross weight is 8,000lbs, even lightly loaded it will be around 7,000lbs. Just to handle the hitch weight you need a 2500/250 Truck minimum. So towing that with a F150 is deadly at best. You need a HD/SD Crew cab min. or that One Ton van.

Yogi  Welcome to the Forum!

First, you are fine towing a 8,000# TT with your F150 since you are the only passenger.  Your F150 will be carrying you (150#?), 80# WD hitch, 100# misc stuff and 800# hitch wt = 1050# - certainly well below your max payload.

I hate to say it, but your current setup may well be the best for your family.

To evaluate a new tow vehicle, DO NOT look at published Max Tow Capacity.  It does not include any passengers past a driver and one passenger @ 150# each.

Add up the weight of all family members (5 year from now weights?), all car seats, kid entertainment, snacks, diaper bags, tools and anything else carried in the vehicle.  Add 80# for a WD hitch.  Add 800# hitch weight for the TT.  The PAYLOAD of the vehicle must exceed this number.

A word on Payload:  Published payloads assume a base vehicle with few options.  The real payload is found on the driver door latch post on a yellow label.  It states the weight of all occupants and cargo shall not exceed XXXX.  That number is for THAT vehicle as it left the factory.  Use that number ONLY!

have family of 8 total 6 kids 2 adults f 150 is over weight according to gcvwr i'm about 1500 pd over when i got on the scales without all passengers plus tongue wieght is 1000#

Not having luck finding a 1 ton van with the big v 8 most have small v 8 with max towing 7600lb will have to see about smaller trailer

Gross combined weight rating (GCWR) really kills most 1/2 ton trucks with trailers bigger than 6,000lbs. Tongue weight is the most common overload when added to a 1/2 ton truck. These guys with 3/4 & 1 tons got no problems and most towing TT's have no clue. Dealers at the shows this year lie to you to make a sale... I wouldn't tow anything over 5,500 gross with you average 1/2 ton. Even my modded Silverado pulling elevation is no fun. If you can find a 2500 Suburban or Ford Excursion that would work.

Looking at the Ford web site, a 2017 Transit Passenger van, mid length, XLT 8 passenger, tow group, tow mirrors, cruise, front seat armrest priced out at about $41,000 MSRP  with a Payload of around 2700# (officially 2940# minus weight of listed options)  The mid length actually had a higher Payload than the short van.  I could not find towing specs like GCWR.  It may meet both towing and family needs.

http://shop.ford.com/build/transitcommercial/?gnav=vhpnav#/select/Config%5B%7CFord%7CTransit%20VanWagon%7C2017%7C1%7C1.%7C301A.X2Z.....X73.53B.CS2.VW.~YZKAA.544.MLR.99M.21L.446.WAL.20B.XL.60C.17H.%5D

Back
Top Bottom