Resurfacing Winnebago cabinets (vinyl over mdf)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cloudrnnr

This is a re-hash of an old subject that I found some discussion of with a search.  Every post I found ended with no real solution found.  Just curious if anyone has found a way to resurface/re-cover the vinyl woodgrain that Winnebago used in the early 2000s after it begins to peel?

You can buy real wood doors and drawer  fronts at reasonable prices. But the cabinets themselves are a problem. I wonder if you can cover them with a Formica type product. Or even cut 4x8 finished paneling. Lots of work.

If you can get rid of the peels and roughen up the surface, I think the Peel-and-Stick veneer would work.  But I suspect it would be prohibitively expensive.  :-\

http://www.rockler.com/psa-pressure-sensitive-veneer-new-sizes-new-24-inch-x-32-inch?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&sid=V9146&gclid=CjwKEAiAi-_FBRCZyPm_14CjoyASJAClUigOuGTaTYA2PbzHAzY2KSVP0q0AanZs-A8pxTTQ0gLdBBoCM9jw_wcB#turnto-reviews-content

I have helped paint these type of cabinets in manufactured homes back in the 90's.  I assume the Winnebago ones will be similar (paper/vinyl covered mdf).  First if they are peeling really badly use a heat gun to peel all the paper off.  If it is only one or two small areas then peel to the point they are stable.  Then sand the wood and use a wood putty to bring to level and sand smooth.  Clean the cabinets with TSP.  Several light cleanings is preferred over a heavy cleaning that would soak the paper and cause the MDF to swell.  Use an oil based bonding primer to prime the cabinets.  Then use an oil based paint to finish them.  We used a spray gun to paint with so that we did not have to worry about brush strokes.  Water based paints and primers can cause the paper to lift or the mdf to swell which is why oil based needs to be used.  A bonding primer will stick to to the clean cabinets and provide adhesion for the finish paint.  Oil paint can take some time to fully harden so limit the use for a week or so. 

My friend would buy older manufactured homes and move them to lots and rent them out to college students in area.  The cabinets were still in good shape a few years later.  A few had to be repainted due to occupants abuse.

Mike

I used the peel and stick veneer from Rockler in last house kitchen on wood frame/MDF door cabinets.
New doors and veneer were very reasonable.  They come unfinished - so its a bit more work.  Great results. 
Good book with lots of tips is Refacing Kitchen Cabinets by Kimball.
Good Luck!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom