Campground and RV Park Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonegood

Thanks for all your help. I've been having a good look at the allstays app, looks really good but does anyone know where I can see the rates/charges for campgrounds? Even going onto the campgrounds websites I'm not finding them.

Am I missing something?

Moderator Note:  Split off from the Highway 1 Closure discussion.  - LS

jonegood said:
Thanks for all your help. I've been having a good look at the allstays app, looks really good but does anyone know where I can see the rates/charges for campgrounds? Even going onto the campgrounds websites I'm not finding them.

Am I missing something?
Rates change too often to try and keep them current in an app. Google the name of the RV park and you will usually find their web site with their current rates.

jonegood said:

Am I missing something?

Nope,  unfortunately the new trend is demand pricing like hotels and airlines use.  Don't publish the rates so you can bump up the price of the remaining sites as the campground fills up.

http://www.gorincohenconsulting.com/campground-industry-insites.html  David Gorin is the former head of RVIA.

Under this model you have to call the campground or go through the reservation process on the website to see the cost of the site on the dates you want.  Of course, there's no reason you have to accept that price - you can always bail out before giving your credit card info.

I haven't run into any campground "demand pricing" myself. Maybe it's something that is happening in the tourist-heavy areas?  I have found rates to be out of date on some websites, though.

You're right, this practice is starting in the destination areas.  It includes the largest chain, KOA.  Take a look at any KOA website in California or other destination areas.  You can't even get a hint of the cost until you fill in the check-in and check-out dates, how many people and pets you have and the size of your rig.

If you're arranging a multiple night stay it only gives a price range ($50-54 per night) and you won't see the total until you finalize the reservation.

I haven't had that problem yet...demand pricing would be quite annoying though and make it hard to budget your expenses.

I agree with LOU.

I have seen that at KOA websites and others too.

Looking all around the sites and they don't show any prices.

Either need to book a stay or call them I guess.

Lots of campgrounds have different prices at different times of the year. Some charge significantly higher during major local activities. For example, I saw rates of $100-125 per night during the upcoming eclipse when their normal rates were $40-50. Rates are generally higher during things like fairs, races, etc. Hotels do the same thing, so why would anyone be surprised campgrounds do this?

does anyone know where I can see the rates/charges for campgrounds? Even going onto the campgrounds websites I'm not finding them.  Am I missing something?

I often recommend getting a copy of the 2017 Good Sam RV Travel & Savings Guide (Good Sams RV Travel Guide & Campground Directory.  It has thousands of campgrounds in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico with information about what each campground offers, including notations on 'last year's rates".  It's not foolproof, but at least gives you an idea of what the campground will cost.  The rates also provide an inkling of comparative rates between several campgrounds in the same area.  You don't usually sees rates online which makes this a valuable resource (while recognizing its limitations, of course).

ArdraF

UTTransplant said:
Lots of campgrounds have different prices at different times of the year. Some charge significantly higher during major local activities. For example, I saw rates of $100-125 per night during the upcoming eclipse when their normal rates were $40-50. Rates are generally higher during things like fairs, races, etc. Hotels do the same thing, so why would anyone be surprised campgrounds do this?
I was just talking to the manager of the one I'm in. They have a different rate for Kentucky derby weekend. The former KOA down the road even kicks out the seasonal people to get the spots for the high rates.
The KOA website differences are due to the days but also they charge extra for more people. 

I saw mentioned in one of the previous posts that the number of people and dogs could affect the rates.  Are some now charging extra for dogs in an RV park?  That one I would drive away from.  I have done that at motels that want $8-$10 per night extra for a dog.  My reply to them as I leave is "my dog doesn't use any towels, steal any shampoo or soap and never flushes the toilet. But a lot of young kids will do everything but burn the place down for no extra charge."

Bill

Campgrounds are using hotel pricing model by changing their name to something like "plus, resort etc" The Santa Cruz, Ca. KOA is now charging $107 a night after changing their name. I won't be renewing my membership this year.

Bob

Try the Good Sam Camping App. it will give you the last years rate so you will have an idea as to what they will charge and a link to the rv parks website along with reviews.

I'm currently camped in an RV park in Arizona that lists itself as a resort.  I'm using PPA and getting a 50% discount but still paying $27 daily.  This park is definitely nowhere close to a resort but charging resort prices. 

The RVPARKY app pretty much tells you the cost for every campsite listed. It also tells you what services they provide and things like pools ect. It usually gives a range like 28 - 46 dollars or something like that. With a large coach with toad we pretty much needed a pull thru for one night stay. We had four people so we generally got dinged an extra 8-10 dollars for the two extra people. Fifty amp service costs about 8 dollars a night more than 30 amp. I usually found I was always at the top end of their range or slightly more with the scenario we had. I suppose if you had a smaller camper that only needed a 30 amp back in site, and had two people, you might be on the lower end of the range. I found the app very handy and used it the entire 6000 mile trip we just finished. We had the koa app as well, but it only lists koa campgrounds whereas the rvparky list all campground including koa, rest areas, and many other features you could add to the filters like Walmarts, Crackerbarrels,T/A truckstops ect. That was another thing I liked about the app, was it gave reviews from actual customers. I found them quite accurate and steered me clear of some that they said had problems. Most of the bad reviews were from noise, but some were from unsavory permanent residents ect. I posted some reviews myself of places we stayed if there wasnt enough of them already on the app.

Back
Top Bottom