Anode rod or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GARYJ

On my 2006 mallard travel trailer there isn't an anode rod in the water heater.
I also have a popup and it does use a long anode, and it works very well.
The question is; why does the TT does not have one? Do the manufacturers want the heater to corrode and me to buy a new one? Or is it flushing all it takes to keep it clean? If so, why does the popup have one?
Thanks for your answers!

Ann Atwood water heater does not use an anode. The inside of the tank is protected.
A Suburban water heater tank is not protected so it uses the anode.

Thanks for your reply!
I didn't know about that. Doesn't say anything in the heater manual and I was thinking that they just forgot to add an anode rod for protection.

A freind of mine replaced the nylon drain plug with a brass one.  A few months later his Atwood started leaking.  My theory is that the brass set up conditions for electrolysis.  He's an engineer and should have known better.  ::)

Rene is correct. Your TT probably has an Atwood water heater which has no anode. Tank construction doesn't require it.
Your popup probably has a Suburban water heater. Different tank construction, which does include an anode.

GARYJ said:
On my 2006 mallard travel trailer there isn't an anode rod in the water heater.
I also have a popup and it does use a long anode, and it works very well.
The question is; why does the TT does not have one? Do the manufacturers want the HEATER to corrode and me to buy a new one?

Based on the wording, you're not confusing an electric element for the anode, are ya?     
Make and model # should clue us in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom