Air Lift LoadLIFTER 5000 airbag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blowout100

Any one running these?

was also looking for the difference between the 88275 with internal Jounce bumpers and the 57275.

2006 duramax 2500 cc SB

Thanks

yes....
what is it your looking to find out ? 
They are on my  Ford frame Class C 34' and I did the install .  Helps ALOT when going boondocking and hitting a lot of "low" spots in the "road" . :eek: ;) Simply pump them up a little stiffer before hitting the dirt/grass and your good to go .
Also helps with walking-bounce when parked .  I also use 7500 lb 30 inch scissor jacks to stabilize , but these air bags definitely do add support .
Good investment if you ask me . ( if you go boondocking a lot - otherwise , not sure they would be worth it - IMO )

Firestone airbags with onboard compressor and wireless remote here, i have sold and installed 1000s of firestone kits and had them in all 5 of my trucks never have i had an issue period.
Cheers

Back when I towed a trailer I had air-lift brand air bags stuffed in the coil springs on my tow vehicle,, Really helped, worked well, no problems.

Air-Life it made in Michigan.. I tend to support Michigan  Michigan supports me, fully half my income is courtesy of the good people of the state of Michigan (Pension).

I am considering them when I get back to MI. May see if the factory can install, Looks like funds might be handy before I head south for the winter.....

I have, however, read that there are more issues with Air-Lift than Firestone.. Now, that said.  I do not recall actually reading a "Problem report" and having installed my own on the tow vehicle I suspect most of the issues are installer issues (Why Factory install) but ...

That's where I'm getting my air bags,, Do not knwo if I will get their compressor kit but I will get the controls... I can provide a little compressed air myself If I so desire.. Enough to do damage.

DO NOT OVER INFLATE.

pulled the trigger and got the upgraded 5000 lbs. Now the question is do i need a onboard compressor or the $65 harbor freight special? Also looking fora PSI gauge in line instead of the tire gauge every time!

I tried that 64.99 Harbor Freight  and after using it ONCE ... the check valve type setup- failed  ( meaning it would continue pumping , but would NOT hold pressure - it would leak it back out as fast as it was trying to pump it in  ) . I returned it , got another and the same problem again , so needless to say , I got my monies back and went to a MUCH better machine  . My Suggestion ( which is what I got )  ....  get a Viair .....  WELL worth it .  Pumps FAST , gets up to the PSI with NO issues , AND uses LESS amperage AND time to build up to your needed pressure  . Viair makes NUMEROUS different 12 volt compressors .... do some research before you decide on one and make your purchase . 
I went with an automatic type setup  which also has a holding tank .  Works great ... never have to worry about if there is enough air in the system ....
here is a link to the one I use :

http://www.jegs.com/i/Viair/961/10000/10002/-1?

I'm getting ready to purchase a set of the Loadlifter 5000 bags for my 2011 F250 (kit # 88396).  This kit has the internal jounce bumper built into the air bag.  I'm going to install them with a "T" fitting and only bring one line back to the rear of the truck so that they are both filled or deflated at the same time/rate.  As I am reading the info about them, the ones with the internal jounce bumper built in, you can totally deflate them and you still have the jounce bumper to keep from bottoming out, whereas the older model without the internal jounce, you need to keep a bit of air pressure in them......someone correct me if I'm wrong.  I don't go anywhere with the Toy Hauler off road (street and paved track type bikes), so the need for an onboard compressor is lessened.  I also have a large compressor at home and an onboard Dewalt compressor in the T.H., along with an onboard Onan generator, so having access to air anytime I'm hauling the T.H. is not a problem.  If at some point in time, I decide to add an onboard compressor to the truck for more convenience, it will most likely be a Viair brand as I have read very good reviews about them.  The air bag install doesn't look terribly hard to do, but mostly time consuming....and will require a floor jack and some jack stands to be able to do the job.  I was quoted $255 to install them by a local truck custom shop, and that seems kind of high, although after I'm done doing it myself, hindsight my prove otherwise.  We'll see!

Have been running the 5000 with jounce bumper for a couple years now. Love them. Installed myself in the driveway with normal hand tools on a 2005 dodge Ram dually 2wd. I also went with there remote control air pump and single line. My only issue was the remote sensor/manifold. After about a year it gave up the ghost. Was gonna convert to a manual switch and gauge, but since it had a 2 year warranty I figured I'd give them a call. Within 2 days of the call I had another manifold in the mail. Excellent customer service. The only thing I would add is a analog gauge. When the manifold died (in the winter, not using bags) the air leaked and I ran them empty all winter. No issues with the bags. They recommend minimum 5psi but can run the ultimate 5000 empty without damage.

Being a dually and my 5'er hitch weight somewhere just about 2000lbs I don't need the bags for weight handling. I got them because the previous 5'er bounced/porpoised like crazy (rear kitchen model) and was told they may help. They did! Now that we have a 42' model I use them to level the truck out and the ride is nice and smooth. Also with the 6 point auto level on the trailer I can "kneel" the truck a little to help in the hitching and unhitching of the trailer. Highly recommend them.

I installed myself as the local shop wanted $450 for install. And they mix and match. They use the Load lifter ultimate 5000 bags as they feel these are the best, and use the firestone pump as they feel its better than the loadlifter pump. My pump does seem a little chincy and cheap, but works. When it dies I'll swap to firestone or viair.

So installed them and they really were very EZ to install. Gonna run a gauge so I can watch pressure. Will check out the Viair.  Thanks for the feedback.

I had them in my previous truck Silverado 2500.  I installed them with no compressor.  I put 75# when towing.  They are helpful.

Glen,

I just had the Load Lifter 5000 bags installed on my Ram 1500 (reg cab, 4x2 short bed). The guys put 10lbs in the bags to set them up and I drove home with it. Previously I had a bunch of small bounce due to the coil springs in the back, that's even after installing new shocks. The overall ride was a lot more comfortable to me, but then I've had either trucks or sports cars for the past 20 years and like a stiff ride. Be aware that if you put more than 10 lbs in them for daily driving, the ride will be pretty harsh and big bumps and dips will bounce you off your seat.

glen54737 said:
I was wondering, Do they help with ride when not towing?
My F-350 is very bouncy.

The air bag is just an additional spring and generally the ride will worsen.  The exception is a truck with leaf springs that have an "overload" leaf.  If your suspension and road conditions are such that the overload leaf comes into play often, then the air bags might help minimize that contact.  Usually that will never happen till significant weight is added.

lynnmor said:
The air bag is just an additional spring and generally the ride will worsen.  The exception is a truck with leaf springs that have an "overload" leaf.  If your suspension and road conditions are such that the overload leaf comes into play often, then the air bags might help minimize that contact.  Usually that will never happen till significant weight is added.

I just put them on my F350 SRW last weekend, and am running them with 10 pounds of pressure while unloaded.  I think they softened the ride a little - the rear isn't jarring me when hitting bumps.  Also installed a heavy duty rear sway bar, and it tightened up the handling quite a bit.

3500 truck bounce more than 2500 and 1500, it is the way it is.

Wow .. is this ever wrong .... IF , and I do mean "IF" the bags are properly inflated ( notice I did not write OVER inflated ) the ride will be that like a Cadillac ( just a saying )  Air bags can HELP a LOT or they CAN worsen your ride ... THAT's totally up to you as to how they ride . no two vehicles will be the same due to weight  and location. there IS a "sweet" spot , you just have to do a little trial and error with how much/little air to inflate to .

BoonDocker Bob said:
Wow .. is this ever wrong .... IF , and I do mean "IF" the bags are properly inflated ( notice I did not write OVER inflated ) the ride will be that like a Cadillac ( just a saying )  Air bags can HELP a LOT or they CAN worsen your ride ... THAT's totally up to you as to how they ride . no two vehicles will be the same due to weight  and location. there IS a "sweet" spot , you just have to do a little trial and error with how much/little air to inflate to .

Please explain how an additional device supporting the truck will somehow soften the spring rate.  2 + 2 = 1 ???

lynnmor said:
Please explain how an additional device supporting the truck will somehow soften the spring rate.  2 + 2 = 1 ???
I'm sure I'll regret getting into this but I agree with Boondocker. The air bag can't soften the spring rate ( but can increase it under load obviously). What the air bag can do is replace the initial spring rate with a softer initial rate. This is why air ride suspensions became so popular in the trucking industry. The trucks ride the same no matter the load. Livestock haulers and other truckers who ran one way loaded and the other way empty ( " bounced" was the term) were among the first to gravitate to air rides starting in the sixties I know you can't compare these bolt on systems to a full air suspension with the levelers and all ,but the basics are the same. I have four vehicles with the Firestone bags, three with compressors and gauges and my trucking fleet has a mixture of full air and spring air suspensions.

Please explain how an additional device supporting the truck will somehow soften the spring rate
  At no time did I state that it would .
but , basing this on that there almost zero RV's going down the road , either under their own power or being towed, that are empty , and being loaded , these HELPER air  bags , do just that ... HELP with stabilizing the vehicle so that it can run down the road properly . Now , the next thing is simple . Since MOST air bags ride on TOP of the leaf springs , then it only figures that the FIRST device to get the weight of the vehicle will be the airbag ... THEN the springs.......And if you inflate the bag PROPERLY ...... then the ride will be set on AIR  - which is a LOT smoother/softer than a leaf/coil spring would be by itself . Air bags also assist in properly leveling out the vehicle . Now , you CAN go as elaborate  and get self levelers ( as are on certain cars like some Lincolns and others that go for a comfort ride ) and then you wouldn't have to worry about finding the "sweet" spot .... its done for you automatically ... BUT , it comes at a cost ... ( as does anything ) . The best thing I can tell you to do ( if you still doubt this and fail to understand ) , then go to a place where they install them near you  and have them explain the benefits  as well as the pros and cons of adding air bags

Just so you know, I do have the Air Lift bags on my F250.  Installed them myself and added a wireless compressor.  The springs on an F250 sag easily and the bags return it to level.  Yes, I did try different pressures on long stretches of rough road and there was no discernible improvement in ride.

Back
Top Bottom