travel trailer tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobbyg2013

My 26'  travel trailers loaded weight is approx. 6,000 pounds (dry 4800). Current rubber is 2 yrs old with about 8/10K  miles on them. Discount Tire said they show excessive wearing on the sides but they did not advise if I needed new rubber or not.  I am going on an extensive trip this summer, from Arizona to Michigan to DC east coast, Florida and back to Arizona.  Should I get new tires before the trip or should I expect to make the trip OK. If you were to replace them, what brand would you recommend? TT tires or truck tires? Thanks for your advice.

Can you post a picture of the tire wear? It might help identify the cause.

I agree a picture might help.

IF you don't replace them make sure you have a spare (or 2?) just in case.
Do you carry a jack and tools to change a tire on the road?

Is the wear on all tires or just one side of the TT?

What brand and size are the tires you have now?

Excessive wear comes from two basic sources. 

UNEVEN wear is usually caused by alignment and needs corrected or the new tires will have the same problem and short life, regardless of brand.

Even but excessive wear is either cheap tires or overloaded (wrong size / load range) tires.  The manufacturers are notorious for cheap components, but are legally required to have the correct size / load range to support the weight of the trailer.

Either issue should be fixed.  A blowout on the road can be much worse than inconvenient.  A shredded tire can do very serious damage to the camper.  According to Murphy, it will also happen at the hottest, most barren place the furtherest from a tire shop of the entire trip.

Get an alignment check at an alignment shop, NOT the RV dealer, get new tires and leave Murphy at home.

Option 2 is a good TPMS so you can catch the flat before it ruins your trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom