Early Spring in Moab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent weather unless a storm comes through.  Then it can be nasty.  This is desert country so usually it is bright and sunny.  Fall (October into the first week or two of Nov) weather is usually better than spring. 

Here is a link to Weather Underground history calendar for April 2016.  With a click or two of the mouse you can go back year by year and get an idea what to expect for temps & rain or snow.  https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KCNY/2016/4/5/MonthlyCalendar.html?req_city=Moab&req_state=UT&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=84532&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

The weather history allows you to decide for yourself if the odds for bad weather or cold temps out weigh the odds of good weather. 

Remember bright sunny days in the 60's and even in the upper 50's are very pleasant.  Chilly nights make for good sleeping. 

No one can predict the weather two months in advance. If I wired houses the way weather forecasters predicted weather all my houses would have burned down by now.

Generally it is good, but cold weather or a snow storm can roll in unexpectedly. We have had 60 degree days then and we have also been snowed on (not the same day though). Be careful about the jeep rally around Easter though. It is insanely busy and not much fun.

Be aware that the Jeep Safari 2017 is April 8-16, 2017. Unless you are participating steer clear of those dates as the town and trails are very busy.

SeilerBird said:
No one can predict the weather two months in advance. If I wired houses the way weather forecasters predicted weather all my houses would have burned down by now.
I have found weather forecasts for the following 2-3 days (48-72 hours) to be very reliable.  Less so for the 60-72 hour time frame, more so for the 24-48 hour time frame. 

As far as 2-3 months goes...That is the advantage of the link, I gave earlier, to Weather Underground.  It gives an excellent review of what the weather was like going back about as many years as you want.  Looking at the history if you see more days of weather you don't like or is dangerous, then don't go.  If you figure that you only have a 25% (or 10%) chance of poor to bad weather, then go for it.  Just use common sense. 

I do have to say, this is based on the assumption you have the time to wait out bad weather.  If you only have a week or two of vacation time then don't chance the weather.  Go when you have the best chance of good weather.  Of course then you will be fighting the crowds because everyone wants to be there at that time. 

Be aware that there will be major road construction inside Arches NP from March to November 2017.  https://www.nps.gov/arch/learn/news/news081516.htm 

From a news release I saw just a few days ago, everyone MUST be out of the park by 7pm as construction will be from 7pm-7am. No sunsets or sunrises or early/late in the day views, from inside the park.  Those are best times of the day to be there. 

Also the campground inside the park is closed until November. 

Plenty to see in the area other than Arches.

Also there is Capital Reef NP and Zion NP in the area.  Bryce NP at 8000' could be a little cold for early April.  Zion at 4000' would be excellent though. 

We have been there many, many times in March and April time frames and it can be a mixed bag like others have said.  Our record has been very good though and only had bad weather twice on us in the last 15+ years.

Also like others have said, that first part of April this year is EJS (Easter Jeep Safari) and pretty well booked if you don't already have reservations somewhere.

Mike.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom