EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Elevation Route Planner  (Read 786 times)

kyteacher

• ---
Elevation Route Planner
« on: March 05, 2017, 07:41:43 PM »
So I am looking for a website or app (free preferably) that I can punch in my projected trip and it shows the elevation changes along that route.  I am having no luck.  Has anyone used a site or app that does this?  We are taking our first big trip west this summer (late june) with our 26' TT.  We are headed from louisville, KY to mt. rushmore to yellowstone/tetons to rocky mtn np then colorado springs and back home to KY.  I want to know what to expect along the route. 

Can anyone help me out? I am new to the site, but have been impressed with how nice and helpful everyone is on here. 

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Elevation Route Planner
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 07:49:47 PM »
There are elevation apps, however I believe they are only for your current location.
If you simply google "elevation at (fill in the city)" you can track the elevation for your route.
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 09:29:18 PM »
There also are twin publications of the Mountain Directory in the east coast and west coast editions.  There are maps for each state showing the roads that might be most troublesome to people traveling in the area.  They do not tell you elevations but they do tell you the percentage of the grade and a narrative of what to expect such as sharp low speed curves.

If you belong to AAA, they have the best maps that show mountain passes with their elevations.  An example is along I-80 in Wyoming.  It's high plains and seems relatively flat as you're driving along, until you see on the AAA maps that the passes often are about 7,000-8,000' elevation.  We also check our Garmin GPS when we're in an area and wonder about our elevation, perhaps because the engine seems to be working harder.  So, the answer probably is there's no single place to find the elevation but there are a variety of places to check depending on your needs.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo w/ Ami the tiny co-pilot
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 11:51:59 PM »
My Stepson the Trucker found this to be quite useful.

https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Directory-Truckers-Motorhome-Drivers/dp/0977629015/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

And I was just playing around with this:
https://www.mapdevelopers.com/elevation_calculator.php

With a little practice, It might be very useful, as well.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 11:54:49 PM by LarsMac »
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

roricaja

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 11:16:29 AM »
This one is ok

www.flattestroute.com
Mike

2017 29' Heartland Trail Runner
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500

Bobtop46

• ---
    • Work Camper
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 12:43:54 PM »
Google Earth, right click on the route and select show elevation.  You will get profile and map.  You can slide the cursor along the profile to get % grade and how many miles into your trip you will hit the hill or mountain.
2007 Coachman Aurora 36FWS
2006 Mini Cooper S

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 01:41:33 PM »
Top tip. Type in your trip in Google maps then change from car to cycling and it shows the elevation! We just found this a few days ago, it is really handy.
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

8th May to 30th October 2017 - Touring Western US

allenb12

• ---
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 04:33:59 PM »
My Garmin Base Camp software show the elevation.

H5-Phil

• ---
  • Penryn, CA. (foothills of the Sierra)
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 05:37:28 PM »
Here's a screen capture from Google Earth (GE).  I plotted a route (got 'directions' in GE terms) from Ca. to Yellowstone.  Then hovered the mouse over the route that I chose and right clicked.  It gives you the option to see an elevation profile.  Move your mouse over the elevation profile and it shows you where you are on the route (red arrow). We use GE all the time -it's free too...  As the profile shows, we have a substantial climb (topping out at 7200') when heading east from our home near Auburn, CA.

I just noticed this is an older post but perhaps it will help others...

So I am looking for a website or app (free preferably) that I can punch in my projected trip and it shows the elevation changes along that route.  I am having no luck.  Has anyone used a site or app that does this?  We are taking our first big trip west this summer (late june) with our 26' TT.  We are headed from louisville, KY to mt. rushmore to yellowstone/tetons to rocky mtn np then colorado springs and back home to KY.  I want to know what to expect along the route. 

Can anyone help me out? I am new to the site, but have been impressed with how nice and helpful everyone is on here.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:43:34 PM by H5-Phil »
Phil & Karen with Crash, our 'guard' Dachshund
KE6HUL / KE6NYJ
2014 F-350 Diesel XLT. with Leer shell
2004 31' Alumascape TT

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 06:00:17 PM »
Top tip. Type in your trip in Google maps then change from car to cycling and it shows the elevation! We just found this a few days ago, it is really handy.
Ding ding ding, you win the Internet, that is way cool. I am a Googleaholic and I never knew this. This should be very helpful.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

richardhufford

• ---
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 10:57:05 AM »
Be careful using the cycling selection on Google Maps.  It selects roads that Google thinks are suitable for bicycles.  I checked the route from Safford, AZ to Morenci, AZ, and it includes San Jose Rd (near Safford), which goes right by our house.  This road was built around 1915 and was paved a long, long time ago.  There are places that have been washed out and repaired to the extent that I can drive my pickup truck on the road, but I'm not so sure it's suitable for my RV.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 11:05:03 AM by richardhufford »
San Jose, AZ
1991 Thor Establishment M275
1959 Willys Station Wagon

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 05:15:08 PM »
Be careful using the cycling selection on Google Maps.  It selects roads that Google thinks are suitable for bicycles.  I checked the route from Safford, AZ to Morenci, AZ, and it includes San Jose Rd (near Safford), which goes right by our house.  This road was built around 1915 and was paved a long, long time ago.  There are places that have been washed out and repaired to the extent that I can drive my pickup truck on the road, but I'm not so sure it's suitable for my RV.
Yup you still need to check route suitable for RV but choosing car, selecting route then changing gives elevation. I wish Google would do an RV option, think I will suggest it..

Thanks for reminder Richard 😁
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

8th May to 30th October 2017 - Touring Western US

Hosted by Over The Network