Elevation Route Planner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyteacher

So I am looking for a website or app (free preferably) that I can punch in my projected trip and it shows the elevation changes along that route.  I am having no luck.  Has anyone used a site or app that does this?  We are taking our first big trip west this summer (late june) with our 26' TT.  We are headed from louisville, KY to mt. rushmore to yellowstone/tetons to rocky mtn np then colorado springs and back home to KY.  I want to know what to expect along the route. 

Can anyone help me out? I am new to the site, but have been impressed with how nice and helpful everyone is on here. 

There are elevation apps, however I believe they are only for your current location.
If you simply google "elevation at (fill in the city)" you can track the elevation for your route.

There also are twin publications of the Mountain Directory in the east coast and west coast editions.  There are maps for each state showing the roads that might be most troublesome to people traveling in the area.  They do not tell you elevations but they do tell you the percentage of the grade and a narrative of what to expect such as sharp low speed curves.

If you belong to AAA, they have the best maps that show mountain passes with their elevations.  An example is along I-80 in Wyoming.  It's high plains and seems relatively flat as you're driving along, until you see on the AAA maps that the passes often are about 7,000-8,000' elevation.  We also check our Garmin GPS when we're in an area and wonder about our elevation, perhaps because the engine seems to be working harder.  So, the answer probably is there's no single place to find the elevation but there are a variety of places to check depending on your needs.

ArdraF

Google Earth, right click on the route and select show elevation.  You will get profile and map.  You can slide the cursor along the profile to get % grade and how many miles into your trip you will hit the hill or mountain.

Top tip. Type in your trip in Google maps then change from car to cycling and it shows the elevation! We just found this a few days ago, it is really handy.

Here's a screen capture from Google Earth (GE).  I plotted a route (got 'directions' in GE terms) from Ca. to Yellowstone.  Then hovered the mouse over the route that I chose and right clicked.  It gives you the option to see an elevation profile.  Move your mouse over the elevation profile and it shows you where you are on the route (red arrow). We use GE all the time -it's free too...  As the profile shows, we have a substantial climb (topping out at 7200') when heading east from our home near Auburn, CA.

I just noticed this is an older post but perhaps it will help others...

kyteacher said:
So I am looking for a website or app (free preferably) that I can punch in my projected trip and it shows the elevation changes along that route.  I am having no luck.  Has anyone used a site or app that does this?  We are taking our first big trip west this summer (late june) with our 26' TT.  We are headed from louisville, KY to mt. rushmore to yellowstone/tetons to rocky mtn np then colorado springs and back home to KY.  I want to know what to expect along the route. 

Can anyone help me out? I am new to the site, but have been impressed with how nice and helpful everyone is on here.

Attachments

• GoogleEarth.jpg
    GoogleEarth.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 34
jackiemac said:
Top tip. Type in your trip in Google maps then change from car to cycling and it shows the elevation! We just found this a few days ago, it is really handy.
Ding ding ding, you win the Internet, that is way cool. I am a Googleaholic and I never knew this. This should be very helpful.

Be careful using the cycling selection on Google Maps.  It selects roads that Google thinks are suitable for bicycles.  I checked the route from Safford, AZ to Morenci, AZ, and it includes San Jose Rd (near Safford), which goes right by our house.  This road was built around 1915 and was paved a long, long time ago.  There are places that have been washed out and repaired to the extent that I can drive my pickup truck on the road, but I'm not so sure it's suitable for my RV.

richardhufford said:
Be careful using the cycling selection on Google Maps.  It selects roads that Google thinks are suitable for bicycles.  I checked the route from Safford, AZ to Morenci, AZ, and it includes San Jose Rd (near Safford), which goes right by our house.  This road was built around 1915 and was paved a long, long time ago.  There are places that have been washed out and repaired to the extent that I can drive my pickup truck on the road, but I'm not so sure it's suitable for my RV.
Yup you still need to check route suitable for RV but choosing car, selecting route then changing gives elevation. I wish Google would do an RV option, think I will suggest it..

Thanks for reminder Richard ?

Hello!  I'm new here and wanted to share.  I was searching for an elevation route planner (still can't believe one does not exist on GoogleMaps!) and found the discussion in this forum.
This book is available in printed format and ebook.  I was told by a friend that the ebook is a little hard to navigate on a cell phone so he suggested the printed version.  I just ordered mine and look forward to receiving and reviewing it before our 2500-mile trip through national forest areas in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming!

https://www.mountaindirectory.com/

Attachments

• md-west-cover.jpg
    md-west-cover.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 11
We always have this book in the motorhome, as well as it's east coast companion.  The Mountain Directory has maps of the problematic highways with a narrative that explains why they're difficult such as 8 percent grade with many sharp curves.  I'm glad you've ordered it!

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom