What about water usage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GARYJ

Why doesn't more RV'ers use gray water to flush their toilets? Sounds like a great idea to me. To have gray water (mostly soapy) connected to the toilet and save fresh water
Any thoughts?

Because the amount of water used to flush a toilet doesn't amount to much water. Not much savings involved. One shower uses more than a weeks worth of toilet flushing.

A "flush" in a RV is more of a quick rinse, along with a gravity dump of waste. Both at the same time.
And the odor of grey water could be a deterrent too.
Like Tom said...

A few things come immediately to mind:
1. It requires an extra pump & plumbing to move water from the gray to the toilet bowl.
2. Gray water is really stinky and scummy, so many people won't want to use it anyway
3. The fresh water flush source would still be needed as an alternative when there wasn't enough gray available. To do it properly, the toilet should really have two flush inlets.

I've heard of people who draw off the gray water in a bucket and use it to flush, usually while boondocking for extended periods. Give it a try.

But there are folks that have added the extra pump to do just that. There's a guy that has a good write up on Mod My RV, but it's copyrighted, so I can't post it here. Just do an internet search for "using gray water to flush an RV toilet" and you should be able to find it.

I also know of one who draws grey water with a separate pump and hooked his commode directly to that pump. I don't know the details of how he did it. I do know he runs the grey water through a whole house type water filter before feeding the toilet when flushing.

Food for thought?

Our new to us coach has one holding tank- I'm not messing with any of that

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom