Question about drop shank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eprovenzano

I have a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 6" lift.  I recently purchased a WDH and an additional drop shank (a Curt C17123 Shank 7" - 10 Hole).  Over the weekend I was setting up my WDH with the drop shank, and realized I over estimated the amount of drop I needed.  As you can see in the pic, I have 2 - 3 inches of the shank sticking out below the hitch.  It shouldn't cause an issue. but I'm thinking of cutting the excess off...  Would you cut it off, or just leave it?

Without more info (Like a yardstick lying against it zero end on the ground) I'd say cut.

WHY?  Well the farther down it extends the greater the chance of digging a ditch.

On the other hand if there is enough clearance (Why the yardstick) Then assume some day in the future you my make a change in the drop setting and do not cut.

Either way.. I woudl make the decision based on distance between shank and ditch digging.

John From Detroit said:
Either way.. I would make the decision based on distance between shank and ditch digging.

Thanks for the tip... I have a trip planned soon, and will use it as is for now.  I think this is what happens when you sit around wishing you were camping and have too much time to think...  :(

I would double check the set up of the hitch on a LEVEL surface, (think Cat scale or some place else that is LEVEL, not your parking lot) and if satisfied with it, only then would I cut it off. I think it would be prudent to leave it unless you're sure it will end up being a plow. Will your set-up work with the shorter shank that you have?

kdbgoat said:
Will your set-up work with the shorter shank that you have?

No..  with the standard shank, the top of the ball is 2 - 3 inches too high.  I miss judged the height of the level tongue, thus causing me to get a drop hitch that's a little too long.  On the bright side...  at least I was thinking ahead and bought something that has a lot of adjustability.  I agree with everyone's comments and will use it as it sits.. Once I'm confident and happy with the set up I'll look into cutting off the excess

That's easy to fix, just raise the truck another 3 inches.  ;D

Personally, I would never raise a truck that pulls a trailer.  Why would anyone do that?

To cut off the shank, take it to a machine shop and have it sawed off.  If you bring it to me, in PA, I'll saw it for free.

I have a similar shank for my dodge.  I ened up cutting it because i live and drive some dirt roads.  It was not a problem otherwise.

When you are all rigged up if you have a couple inches clearance you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom