Doors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robertsjimmy93

I don't understand why this small trailer has two doors. Is it a requirement to have two doors?  Living area is less than 18ft no slides small bathroom in the middle refrigerator above the central heat. The heat is recessed so warm air has to make a turn to get to the back. The extra door for a single person seems unnecessary. 

It's probably just a feature of that model. Our friends had an older Class A that had a second door in the rear bedroom. I always thought it was pretty neat, and they loved it.

Kev

How small is the trailer? Our 23' Artic Fox only has one door. I sure wouldn't like it if it had 2.

Robertsjimmy93 said:
I don't understand why this small trailer has two doors. Is it a requirement to have two doors?

I have noticed that a lot on trailers and haven't figured the reason. We don't like the idea and it is more costly to manufacture. It is a deterrent to us for some of the units we like otherwise. Too bad they don't make it an option.

After 36 years in the fire service, we considered a second door a necessary secondary means of egress and made it a deal breaker when we were looking to buy our trailer. It's also handy to help loading/unloading and ventilation.

I  agree with Patnsuzanne. I have often wondered if our son would be able to crawl out the escape window if he had to. This was one of the things we didn't think about when we bought our TT used.  The fear of fire is one reason we do not like to cook in our trailer. Two doors will definitely be on the list next time.

My camper is a rear living floorplan with a slide in the middle. Having two doors allows me to have access to both ends when the slide is in. If the slide is out and there was a fire in the kitchen area having two doors allows an exit without passing through the kitchen from which ever end you are in.

It is required to have two exits, for fire safety reasons. It can have two doors, or a door + an window designed as an emergency exit.

But some buyers just like having two doors, probably to reduce through traffic. Families with rambunctious children no doubt give that a higher priority than others may.  ;)

spdracr39 said:
My camper is a rear living floorplan with a slide in the middle. Having two doors allows me to have access to both ends when the slide is in. If the slide is out and there was a fire in the kitchen area having two doors allows an exit without passing through the kitchen from which ever end you are in.

This is an issue with mine too, but many trailers have been featuring two entry doors since long before slides were dreamed up.  Often I think it was a convenience option, i.e. parents/guests could get in one end of the trailer to use the bathroom, etc. without bothering the kids who were sleeping at the other end of the trailer.  I agree that it doesn't make much sense for just an adult couple camping.

My double-door trailer is very unique, with the doors on opposite sides of the trailer (see attached floorplan diagram).  I've never seen another model like it.  We store a lot of "stuff" in the rear bunkroom (one set of bunks folds up flat against the wall) while traveling, so that rear door is a big help for loading cargo.  Otherwise we never use it much.

Attachments

• 32BHDS floorplan.jpg
    32BHDS floorplan.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 22
We've had two trailers that had two doors.  A Wilderness and an Arctic Fox.  It's one of the reasons we liked them as much as we did.

I want two doors for the safety, ease of loading, unloading, cleaning and repairs.

I should also add that in addition to a second way out, a second door is also a second way in. A broken key in a door lock at a rest stop one trip was a non-issue since I was able to get in via the other door, disassemble the lock from the inside to remove said key.

As usual, what Gary said makes the most sense. RVs without two doors have escape hatches (windows).

I think the law says one exit on each side. I have two doors and an emergency exit on the other side. That two door layout above is unique. I have seen several newer models with doors on the rear or "back" side that give exterior access to a bathroom but none like that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom