Starcraft vs Fleetwood vs Flagstaff vs Jayco!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark_amy

Can anyone recommend which tent trailer we should go for?  Towing is not an issue as we have a chevy silverado.

We have been looking at the following models:
- Starcraft 2106
- Jayco 1007
- Fleetwood Yuma
- Flagstaff 206 LTD

These all appear to be comparable models.  From my understanding, Fleetwood is a higher quality and Jayco is bottom of the line, with Starcraft & Flagstaff being in the middle?  Is this accurate?

Any recommendations as to which one we should be going for?  Please share your experiences with these tent trailers (or these brand of tent trailers!)

Amy

I just got a brand new Flagstaff Classic 823.  I ordered it in February at an RV show - excellent deal $10,800 CDN (class 3 hitch, WDH, brake control, add-a-room and porta-potty all in.  Before I went to teh show I researched all brands and reviewed all floorplans from all manufacturers that matched my needs.  Other than maybe Fleetwood, I think they are a lot alike.  I also heard about Jayco being bottom of the line.  I don't mean to offend anyone with real preferences, but after a lot of research, I came to the conclusion that essentially all of these things are VERY similar and other than a few touches, pretty much the same.  A lot of your decision will be color and pattern preferences on the interior and other features.  We noticed the Flagstaff had better mattresses than some others and had heavier lift bars than Jayco, Viking makes a big deal of its wider track (I measured it, it is about a foot), etc, etc, etc.  My friend bought a new Jayco and the fridge, furnace, water pump, frame, body, thermostat, sensors, ligths fans, bunk lights, etc. are the same third party manufacturers. Most if not a PUP's are manufactured in Indiana so how different are they really.  DO your research of all makes floorplans that you like, check out the interiors for your preference, compare features and then negotiate with all dealers to get a unit and price combo you like best and go for it. Bottom line, my advice is not to fall in love with a particular make. 

After only some initial research, my initial gut reaction was that the Jayco was slightly better made than the Starcraft.  I'm no expert, but I did feel some slight flexing on the floor of the Starcraft when I walked in it, not so with the Jayco.  The Jayco has a diamond kicker plate on the ends.  The appointments seem to be better quality fit and finish inside.  And the warranty on the Jayco is slightly better.  They were priced about the same.  I wish there was some site where RV'ers reviewed their trailers so we could hear some true results from long-term ownership of this brand vs that brand.  Right now it's boiling down to a "Ford" vs "Chevy" thing for me, ie. Six vs One half Dozen.

Some Starcrafts are made by Forrest River  Starcraft makes boats but buy RVs and has their name put on them.  Jayco is somewhat a slightly studier product in my estimation. I'm more partial to Fleetwood myself.  JMHO

Shayne, if you check here www.starcraftrv.com, you'll see that your information is innacurate. They are totallly separate from the Boaat division and are now owned by Jayco. Their greatest asset in Topeka is their Amish workforce. You would love to see their parking lot -no pony's there, but a lot of great horse flesh.

In the mid '70's, I was Inter-Company Purchasing Manager for Starcraft and then Marketing Manager for Viking Tent Campers when it was still located on the Coachman Industrial Park in Middlebury. We did make the first Coachmen tent campers. Star had plants in Topeka IN, Harrisburg PA, Listowell ON CN and Independence KS. The oil embargo burred the outlying plants. I also bought and pulled a Palomino TC from Chicago to the end of Nova Scotia and back.

I'd look hard at Coleman TC's too, iif they are still around.

Starcraft has the best four assembly lines for producing soft sides in the industry and that didn't count the two lines in the TT/5w building or the Class A fiberglass plant and the separate Class A assembly building.

"Manufacturing.

Starcraft has an excellent manufacturing facility. We dedicate over 300,000 square feet of floor space strictly to manufacturing, while another 30,000 square feet houses our sales and advertising, engineering and transportation groups.

We benefit from a unique advantage in the RV industry: the efficiencies of designing and building nearly every item in-house, from the frames and running gear (which we design) on up. Starcraft maintains total control over the engineering, manufacturing and quality of our components, sub-assemblies, assemblies, cabinets, cushions - everything! We are not limited by an outside manufacturer's 'off-the-shelf' products, nor are we constrained by someone else's timing.

Every vehicle we produce is repeatedly audited at various stations throughout each production line. Electrical, LP and water systems are checked, as well as fit and finish, standards and options, and correct loose items. And that's not all. Our sales department conducts regular audits independent of our own manufacturing and quality control checks. An exhaustive final inspection awaits each unit before shipment. We build it right the first time, from the ground up!"

I said SOME of their units are made by Forest River, which makes units for other Brands also.  And all the units in the Elkhart area are there because of the Amish.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom