Horseback riding and people over 65

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
I'm curious if there are any RV Forum members over 65 who are still horseback riding.  My older horseback riding friends gave up the reins years ago due to one ailment or another.  I haven't ridden for several years but I'm thinking about taking one of my granddaughters on a horseback riding RV trip.  I haven't broken any bones yet ...  but I wonder if I'm tempting fate at my age?  :-\  ::)

DH and I are also considering volunteering next spring/summer at a wild horse sanctuary in South Dakota. 

Check with Marsha Lassen, RV Forum Staff Member, and Horseman Extraordinaire with lots of experience.  She will tell you "how it is" and what to expect.

I'm 68, started riding at 50 years old, went back to riding about 6 months ago after taking a couple of years off to travel around the country in our MH. just like riding a bike, as they say. I ride at a local ranch as much as I want, hurts a little more than I remember but maybe that will pass. Good Luck, go for it.

For my 67 birthday, DW and I went for a three hour ride in the Superstition Mountains.  Tomorrow, we're taking ATV in the the back country, dessert and mountains.  I have two bad disc in my lower back, more than likely from doing crazy stuff,  My doctor has a fit that I hike and want to play Pickle ball.  What the heck, I really don't care if I look good in a Pine Box.  If the DW would let me jump out of an airplane, I'd do that too.

GO FOR IT.......

Wi1dBi11

I am 81 and I would do it in a heart beat if it interested me, but my interests are more in hiking and biking.
For Christmas I bought my 79 year old wife a paddleboard, and when I tried it out, I liked it so much she got me one for my birthday. Last week we paddled them nine miles along the coast line here in Key Largo.

We both race canoes and Kayaks, and we do one 90 miler up in the Adirondacks where there are some long portages up and over a mountain.
Most of the paddlers use wheels. I carry our tandem canoe on my shoulders.

If you want to do it then do it !

Jack L

It depends on how physically fit you are.  I can say four of us went for an hour ride at age 60 and four of us came back with our backs out of whack and could barely walk the next day.  It was fun though!  Good luck!

It does depend on how physically fit you are, and if you know the horses.  I.E. are the horses yours, "trail" horses, rental horses?  Riding & tempting fate always go hand in hand, no matter the age!  But to me, that sounds like the best of both worlds, RVing & horseback riding!  What a special time, enjoy.

Last time I was on a horse (Used to ride a lot) I found my body had changed and I had circulation issues in my legs.. Did not bother me so much riding but when I dismounted I collapsed.. Controlled, no injury. Since I knew it was going to happen.. Bit it can be scary to others.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom