EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: I-70 Questions between Grand Junction and Denver (Vail Pass)  (Read 2021 times)

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo With Ami the Chi-cha
Re: I-70 Questions between Grand Junction and Denver (Vail Pass)
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2017, 10:42:52 PM »
If you're going to Dallas there are other routes at less altitude.  For example, continue south and go east on either I-40 or I-10. I-40 has higher elevations than I-10 but it's more scenic and, in fact, goes right to Dallas. Is there any particular reason why you chose to ask about I-80 or I-70?  It sounds like higher elevations on those routes might be more problematic for your wife.  Breathing problems can be scary so the lower elevation routes might be preferable in your case.

ArdraF

Um, to get to Dallas on I-40, you have to turn right at Oklahoma City.

Though once he gets to Denver, he can take US-287 to Fort Worth and turn Left on I-20. That is actually my favorite route to Big D from Denver.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2017, 07:32:28 AM »
To go to Dallas from Vancover, take I-84 to SLC then I-15 south to Provo, UT where you pick up US-6 to Price and Green River, UT. Take US-191 through Moab and then 491 to Cortez and on to Gallup, NM.  Pick up I-40 to Amarillo and 287 to DFW. 

Good road all the way.  We have taken this route about 10 times (5 in each direction) over the last 6 years. 

Only one place with significant elevation and that is not steep going up or down.  That is US-6 from Provo to Price.  You have a long 3% to 5% grade with plenty of passing lanes and 4 lane hwy up to about 7000' and then and easy drive down to Price. 

Much, much easier drive than going through Denver.  Especially the traffic in Denver. 
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

LarsMac

• ---
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »
To go to Dallas from Vancover, take I-84 to SLC then I-15 south to Provo, UT where you pick up US-6 to Price and Green River, UT. Take US-191 through Moab and then 491 to Cortez and on to Gallup, NM.  Pick up I-40 to Amarillo and 287 to DFW. 

Good road all the way.  We have taken this route about 10 times (5 in each direction) over the last 6 years. 

Only one place with significant elevation and that is not steep going up or down.  That is US-6 from Provo to Price.  You have a long 3% to 5% grade with plenty of passing lanes and 4 lane hwy up to about 7000' and then and easy drive down to Price. 

Much, much easier drive than going through Denver.  Especially the traffic in Denver.

That is a good route if you want to avoid I-70 between Grand Junction and Denver. Of course, given the thread title, ...
I assumed, well,...
2007 Saturn Vue

markbarendt

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2017, 10:49:11 AM »
The route through Moab is very nice and less prone snow than I70. When we lived in Durango we'd go to Grand Junction via Moab to avoid the high passes during storms.

Even in the winter though we'd happily go over the passes when the weather was reasonable. Colorado gets 300 days of sun yearly, is really good at clearing the highways, and the I-70 drive is gorgeous.

raybbj

• ---
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2017, 12:57:33 PM »
Now I'm re-thinking my entire route.
The reason I wasn't considering I40 was because I didn't see any easy way to get there from SLC other than a 2 lane highway. Being new to towing a 33 foot 5er, I want to stick to 4 lanes until I get more comfortable.

My chosen route from Vancouver to Dallas was

I5 to I90 to I84 to SLC
I80 or I70 to Denver (Iprefer I70 cuz of better state parks in Grand Junction and Cheyenne Mountain
I25 to Southern CO/ Northern NM
US87  to  US287 into Dallas (both 4 lanes)

I will consider some of the other routes mentioned. A lot of how I chose a route though is not the route itself, but where we're gonna stay  along the way. I prefer state parks and actual RV resorts to boondocking and parking lot style RV Parks. I'm still discovering new state parks and RV parks everyday, so you never know, my route still may change, but for now, I had my eye on I70 although I'm not married to it.

I really do appreciate all the advice and feedback.
Ford F-350 - 6.2L Gas - CC - 4WD - SRW - Year unknown because I haven't bought it yet
Grand Design Refelection 303RLS 5thWLR - Year unknown because I haven't bought it yet.

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2017, 01:04:31 PM »
I'm planning on doing I 70 this coming summer so will keep an eye on this thread.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

markbarendt

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »
The roads between Salt Lake and Albuquerque are on par with I-70 in quality, nothing to sweat about. They are thoroughly modern highways either way. On certain stretches of I70, the road with normal traffic may feel more confining that the two lane roads to ABQ.

The real difference (if on vacation) is more about "what am I in the mood for today, deserts or mountains?" or do I want to see Arches park https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arches_National_Park and get a burger at Milt's in Moab http://www.miltsstopandeat.com (highly recommended by me) or to ride the George town loop train https://www.georgetownlooprr.com and have pizza at BeauJo's http://www.beaujos.com/colorado-pizza-menu/idaho-springs-menu/(also highly recommended by me).

I5 to I90 to I84 to I15 to US6 to I70

If desert (lower altitude) on to US191 to US491 to US550 to ABQ.

If mountains stay on I70.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 01:44:26 PM by markbarendt »

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2017, 04:35:40 PM »
Mark is right that both routes are just fine. Much of the 2 lane stretch has passing lanes on the hills, and the roads are good. Mountains or deserts? I always decide based on what time of year it is!
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2017, 10:13:13 PM »
Um, to get to Dallas on I-40, you have to turn right at Oklahoma City.

I do believe you're right.  We must have cut down east of Amarillo to get to Dallas.  Brain freeze!!

Actually going down via Moab is neat because southern Utah has lots of neat places to visit.  You don't say how much time you have and whether you'll be sightseeing along the way but you can spend a month in the Four Corners area and not see everything.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2017, 12:13:29 AM »
raybbj...I assume you will give us a report of how things went in May after you go over I70? 
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

raybbj

• ---
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2017, 03:35:00 PM »
raybbj...I assume you will give us a report of how things went in May after you go over I70?

Sorry - Full Disclosure, and look at my signature.
I'm still in the research phase of our adventure. It won't be this coming May.
I didn't mean to give the impression of anything else.

Having said that, I've definitely decided to travel via I70 rather than I80 or I40. Sure I'll be going slower with a gasser, but that's fine with me.
The trip from Vancouver to DFW will most likely be every year or every 2 years, so it's possible I will choose I40 or I80 on different trips just to change it up a bit. In fact, one year we plan on doing I5 from Vancouver to San Diego and then I10 all the way to Texas.
Ford F-350 - 6.2L Gas - CC - 4WD - SRW - Year unknown because I haven't bought it yet
Grand Design Refelection 303RLS 5thWLR - Year unknown because I haven't bought it yet.

LarsMac

• ---
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2017, 03:42:09 PM »
Sorry - Full Disclosure, and look at my signature.
I'm still in the research phase of our adventure. It won't be this coming May.
I didn't mean to give the impression of anything else.

Having said that, I've definitely decided to travel via I70 rather than I80 or I40. Sure I'll be going slower with a gasser, but that's fine with me.
The trip from Vancouver to DFW will most likely be every year or every 2 years, so it's possible I will choose I40 or I80 on different trips just to change it up a bit. In fact, one year we plan on doing I5 from Vancouver to San Diego and then I10 all the way to Texas.

That's a good way to do it.
We make regular trips from Denver area to Coastal Maine, so we try to find a different way to go each trip.
I have a nice list of routes that are less than optimal, now, and a couple of very nice routes.

We hope to get up your way in the next year or two, as well.

Wherever you're going, there are lots of ways to get there. Some are more interesting than others.

2007 Saturn Vue

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2017, 07:20:38 PM »
2 lane or 4 lane you still need to stay in your lane, so there is little difference. 

Keep in mind that by the time you get to SLC and Provo you should feel comfortable driving the rig. 

If you are going to take I-70 by going all the way down I-15 to I-70 you will be going way out of your way.  Also there is a steep drop on I-70 between I-15 and Green River.  This drop will sneak up on you if you are not alert and it will be hard to slow down if you hit the drop at 65-70mph.  Going from Provo to Green River, via Price is not only much shorter, you miss this drop on I-70. 

About passing or being passed.  I pass another vehicle almost never on 2 lane or 4 lane roads.  I don't worry about being passed on 2 lane roads, but I do pull over on passing lanes. 

Even driving fairly large RV's for 12 years, I still dislike driving through the big cities with all the traffic.  Much, much more stressful than any driving I have done on 2 lane roads.  Just something to think about when you think about going though Denver. 

I have been driving: 33' travel trailer, 35' 5th wheel, 40 diesel pusher, 26' class C and now a 29' Class A. 
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

lone_star_dsl

• ---
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2017, 09:17:42 AM »
If you still decide to come over I-70, make sure you do it mid-week. If you try it Friday through Monday, you'll get to enjoy the I-70 parking lot...
2007 KZ Sportsman 36SE3 Toy Hauler
2016 Ram 3500, CTD, Aisin, Dually
Monument, CO

LarsMac

• ---
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2017, 09:58:40 AM »
If you still decide to come over I-70, make sure you do it mid-week. If you try it Friday through Monday, you'll get to enjoy the I-70 parking lot...

Good point. Coming East on Friday is not too bad. Even Monday is not really bad. But don't even think about it Sunday afternoon.
2007 Saturn Vue

Hosted by Over The Network