I-70 Questions between Grand Junction and Denver (Vail Pass)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, people udually don't get altitude sickness at 12,000 feet.  A relative got a little lightheaded when she was at Pike's Peak which is over 14,000 feet.  And, yes, there are some people who cannot go above certain altitudes because of specific health issues.  When we lived in the San Francisco area at sea level we planned our trips to higher elevations so we could do it in increments of a few thousand feet each day..  I'm talking from sea level to 8,000+ feet.  We have no health issues but we do like to hike and it's easier to work into it gradually.  We know people who shouldn't go above 4,000 feet because of heart problems.

A few years ago we had someone come onto the RV Forum who needed to transport an elderly ill relative from the east to Los Angeles.  She wanted to do it in a motorhome for the person's comfort.  The problem was the person was advised by her doctors not to go above 4,000 feet so we helped them find a relatively easy-to-drive route that stayed within the elevation limitation.  But as long as you're healthy, altitude shouldn't be an issue.  Just be sure to stay hydrated because this is the desert and you can get dehydrated very quickly.

ArdraF

Thank you all, we'll drink lots of water in the days leading up to the climb. We don't smoke or drink, but maybe we'll have to stop the coffee for a few days  :( :(

No don't stop the coffee, caffeine headaches aren't any better.

That's true, especially if you drink a lot of coffee.  Those "caffeine withdrawal" headaches are like migraines.  If you only drink a cup or so a day, it probably won't be a problem.

ArdraF

markbarendt said:
No don't stop the coffee, caffeine headaches aren't any better.

Good point !!. I'm very happy not to give up my coffee. I only drink 2 cups a day ...... 2 big cups mind you. Maybe 14 oz a day

We hosted at Demotte Campground outside the Grand Canyon north rim last year.  Altitude at the campground was around 8700'.  We had several campers over the summer have to leave because of altitude related problems.  Also, food for thought, we had one couple who had to leave because their elderly dog was having breathing problems.

May I suggest that you plan to spend the night somewhere between Grand Junction and Glenwood springs?
Not knowing what your plans are, there are some decent campground/RV Parks along that route.

We always stay on the kids' farm when we are over there, but I like the James M Robb State Park. And Glenwood Springs is worth a day or two, as well.

Then making the drive over the hill is pretty easy.

We will be driving from Vancouver to Dallas. I was planning on staying at James M Robb for 2 nights to get acclimated before driving through Denver, and then ending up at Cheyenne Mountain state Park in CO Springs.
My DW has always had difficulty with altitude. Even going up and down steep short grades here at home (1/2 a mile  between say 300ft ASL to 500ft ASL her ears always pop. And she has suffered from vertigo for weeks after flying, so I'm a little concerned for her.
It might even be worth buying an O2 bottle and mask for her, just in case.

If you're going to Dallas there are other routes at less altitude.  For example, continue south and go east on either I-40 or I-10.  I-40 has higher elevations than I-10 but it's more scenic and, in fact, goes right to Dallas.  Is there any particular reason why you chose to ask about I-80 or I-70?  It sounds like higher elevations on those routes might be more problematic for your wife.  Breathing problems can be scary so the lower elevation routes might be preferable in your case.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
If you're going to Dallas there are other routes at less altitude.  For example, continue south and go east on either I-40 or I-10. I-40 has higher elevations than I-10 but it's more scenic and, in fact, goes right to Dallas. Is there any particular reason why you chose to ask about I-80 or I-70?  It sounds like higher elevations on those routes might be more problematic for your wife.  Breathing problems can be scary so the lower elevation routes might be preferable in your case.

ArdraF

Um, to get to Dallas on I-40, you have to turn right at Oklahoma City.

Though once he gets to Denver, he can take US-287 to Fort Worth and turn Left on I-20. That is actually my favorite route to Big D from Denver.

To go to Dallas from Vancover, take I-84 to SLC then I-15 south to Provo, UT where you pick up US-6 to Price and Green River, UT. Take US-191 through Moab and then 491 to Cortez and on to Gallup, NM.  Pick up I-40 to Amarillo and 287 to DFW. 

Good road all the way.  We have taken this route about 10 times (5 in each direction) over the last 6 years. 

Only one place with significant elevation and that is not steep going up or down.  That is US-6 from Provo to Price.  You have a long 3% to 5% grade with plenty of passing lanes and 4 lane hwy up to about 7000' and then and easy drive down to Price. 

Much, much easier drive than going through Denver.  Especially the traffic in Denver. 

AStravelers said:
To go to Dallas from Vancover, take I-84 to SLC then I-15 south to Provo, UT where you pick up US-6 to Price and Green River, UT. Take US-191 through Moab and then 491 to Cortez and on to Gallup, NM.  Pick up I-40 to Amarillo and 287 to DFW. 

Good road all the way.  We have taken this route about 10 times (5 in each direction) over the last 6 years. 

Only one place with significant elevation and that is not steep going up or down.  That is US-6 from Provo to Price.  You have a long 3% to 5% grade with plenty of passing lanes and 4 lane hwy up to about 7000' and then and easy drive down to Price. 

Much, much easier drive than going through Denver.  Especially the traffic in Denver.

That is a good route if you want to avoid I-70 between Grand Junction and Denver. Of course, given the thread title, ...
I assumed, well,...

The route through Moab is very nice and less prone snow than I70. When we lived in Durango we'd go to Grand Junction via Moab to avoid the high passes during storms.

Even in the winter though we'd happily go over the passes when the weather was reasonable. Colorado gets 300 days of sun yearly, is really good at clearing the highways, and the I-70 drive is gorgeous.

Now I'm re-thinking my entire route.
The reason I wasn't considering I40 was because I didn't see any easy way to get there from SLC other than a 2 lane highway. Being new to towing a 33 foot 5er, I want to stick to 4 lanes until I get more comfortable.

My chosen route from Vancouver to Dallas was

I5 to I90 to I84 to SLC
I80 or I70 to Denver (Iprefer I70 cuz of better state parks in Grand Junction and Cheyenne Mountain
I25 to Southern CO/ Northern NM
US87  to  US287 into Dallas (both 4 lanes)

I will consider some of the other routes mentioned. A lot of how I chose a route though is not the route itself, but where we're gonna stay  along the way. I prefer state parks and actual RV resorts to boondocking and parking lot style RV Parks. I'm still discovering new state parks and RV parks everyday, so you never know, my route still may change, but for now, I had my eye on I70 although I'm not married to it.

I really do appreciate all the advice and feedback.

The roads between Salt Lake and Albuquerque are on par with I-70 in quality, nothing to sweat about. They are thoroughly modern highways either way. On certain stretches of I70, the road with normal traffic may feel more confining that the two lane roads to ABQ.

The real difference (if on vacation) is more about "what am I in the mood for today, deserts or mountains?" or do I want to see Arches park https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arches_National_Park and get a burger at Milt's in Moab http://www.miltsstopandeat.com (highly recommended by me) or to ride the George town loop train https://www.georgetownlooprr.com and have pizza at BeauJo's http://www.beaujos.com/colorado-pizza-menu/idaho-springs-menu/(also highly recommended by me).

I5 to I90 to I84 to I15 to US6 to I70

If desert (lower altitude) on to US191 to US491 to US550 to ABQ.

If mountains stay on I70.

Mark is right that both routes are just fine. Much of the 2 lane stretch has passing lanes on the hills, and the roads are good. Mountains or deserts? I always decide based on what time of year it is!

Um, to get to Dallas on I-40, you have to turn right at Oklahoma City.

I do believe you're right.  We must have cut down east of Amarillo to get to Dallas.  Brain freeze!!

Actually going down via Moab is neat because southern Utah has lots of neat places to visit.  You don't say how much time you have and whether you'll be sightseeing along the way but you can spend a month in the Four Corners area and not see everything.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom