Where does an apartment dweller get a driveway and a hose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Launce

Hi, I just bought an Airstream Bambi and it's getting near time for de-winterizing.

This may be a dumb question ...

If you live in an apartment, how do you do all the good stuff that requires a driveway and a hose?  De-winterizing, setup for a trip, washing ... 

Similarly, how do you dispose of the RV antifreeze if you can't just haul it into the house and dump it down the toilet?

I actually live in a condo, and I do have a yard and a hose.  But it's the same question, because there's nowhere to park the trailer anywhere near.

My trailer lives in a community boat/RV lot.  But they don't have water.  And I don't think they'd be thrilled if I flushed antifreeze out on the ground.

I guess the short answer is find a friend with a driveway.  But while that may work for occasional tasks, do I really have to bug my friend every time I want to take on water for a little spin?  (I suppose the first campground on my trip could have water hookups.  But what if I'm dry camping?)

I know you can get air from a gas station.  Maybe propane.  Can you hook up a hose?

I must be missing something basic.

I can't help you on the hose deal as I can't see what you're situation is, but if the antifreeze is the pink RV stuff, it's non-toxic and won't hurt anything to run it on the ground. I guess the best thing to do in your situation as I see it, is to go to your friends and dewinterize and sanitize the freshwater system. From that point you can usually get water from the campground. If you want water for dry camping, fill your freshwater tank at your friends when you're do sanitizing, then just keep it full. It can stay in the tank with no problems for a while, especially if your friend has chlorinated water. If you go to a campground with water, use the water from your tank first, then refill the tank before you leave to keep the water freshened up.

Thanks. 

Yeah, I was thinking that, like you say, the idea is to top off after my trip (before I park the RV), not before.  Then I'm ready to go.

From a little browsing, I also found out that some gas stations do have water, as well as air.  I just never noticed it before, because I didn't need it.

I also found a "sanidumps" site that seems useful.  Mostly about dumping, but also says if there's water and if it's potable.

Now, for maintenance tasks, all I have to do is find a buddy with a big driveway and a generous heart!

Thanks again.

And in addition to what kdbgoat said, unless you are certain your next trip will start at a place with a dump station or full hookups, you'll want to be sure and dump your gray/black tanks each time before putting your RV back in storage - especially as you are considering dry camping. Black tank should be 3/4 full before dumping, if not flush until it is, then dump black, followed by gray.) Would probably be a good idea to find the campground nearest to your condo that allows use of their dump station (almost certainly they will charge for this). This way you could swing by following a weekend dry camp, dump and fill-up, and be ready for your next trip.

I'm sure you've already assumed you'll be emptying the fridge after each trip, but you'll also want to consider removing most/all food unless the weather will be very mild prior to the next trip. It might be a pleasant 80 degrees outside, but could easily be 95+ in a stored RV, less than ideal for food storage.

It's possible you might find a super RV friendly gas station with a potable water spigot they'd let you use, but I wouldn't count on it.

Launce said:
I actually live in a condo, and I do have a yard and a hose.  But it's the same question, because there's nowhere to park the trailer anywhere near.

Not sure if you mean you can't get the trailer anywhere near for even a few minutes, or just to park long term. If you're at least able to park on the street in front of your unit and run a hose out to quickly refill the water, seems like that's an option for the water situation.

Last thing, it sounds like you purchased this unit already winterized. If that's true, you'll need to dewinterize, fill with water, and do a complete systems check to be sure the pump and hot water heater work, and that you don't have any leaks. Once the pump has pressurized the water system it should shutoff and not run again until you open a faucet or flush. If the pump does run, you may have a leak (can also be a leak inside the pump but you need to confirm).

Have fun, once you get the logistics figured out you'll have a great time.

(BTW, even though I have a driveway I can park our rig on short-term, I'm jealous of those that can keep their rig right next to their house.)

Stop at an occupied fire house, ask nicely. There are usually campers among the crew that are willing to help you out.

I have seen some storage yards that have a place. I dumped at a couple of them before.
Flying J has a dump and water.

You could always just plan a quick trip to a CG with full hookups and do it there.  I'm sure you wouldn't be the first.

Alternatively you could bring 10 or so gallons of water (doesn't take much)with you and drain/sanitize where it is being stored.  It all goes into the tanks except maybe an outdoor shower, but that could easily go into a 5 gallon pale and dumped into either holding tank.  The fresh water tank obviously would require being done elsewhere with the exception of a few gallons just to clean all the water lines.  A more thorough flush could be done later.
When you're done there are plenty of places that will let you dump for a small fee.

More good suggestions.

Yes, if I get a little extra hose, I might be able to park on the street and run it out there.  I can park for a while, just not overnight.

There is a full bells-and-whistles campground nearby (Cherry Hill, in College Park, MD).  I've emailed them about what they offer for non-registered drop-ins.  Or I guess I could register for a night and catch a sauna and a movie to boot.

But this first time, I might take Sun2Retire's suggestion and get an RV shop to do the de-winterizing and test the system.  Yes, I bought it up in New Jersey, winterized. 

They'll also dispose of it -- everyone on the web has a different opinion on how to dispose of propylene glycol.  As many opinions as there are people, far as I can see.  I gather it's not as toxic as the green stuff, ethylene glycol, and it hasn't picked up toxic contaminants from being used in an engine.  But I can stay out of all that, because the town runs a recycling center down the street that'll take the stuff.

Speaking of diverse opinions, I'm beginning to side with the camp that just blows the water out with compressed air and hopes for more of that good global warming ...

More good suggestions.

Yes, if I get a little extra hose, I might be able to park on the street and run it out there.  I can park for a while, just not overnight.

There is a full bells-and-whistles campground nearby (Cherry Hill, in College Park, MD).  I've emailed them about what they offer for non-registered drop-ins.  Or I guess I could register for a night and catch a sauna and a movie to boot.

But this first time, I might take Sun2Retire's suggestion and get an RV shop to do the de-winterizing and test the system.  Yes, I bought it up in New Jersey, winterized. 

They'll also dispose of it -- everyone on the web has a different opinion on how to dispose of propylene glycol.  As many opinions as there are people, far as I can see.  I gather it's not as toxic as the green stuff, ethylene glycol, and it hasn't picked up toxic contaminants from being used in an engine.  But I can stay out of all that, going forward, because the town runs a recycling center down the street that'll take the stuff.

Speaking of diverse opinions, I'm beginning to side with the camp that just blows the water out with compressed air and hopes for more of that good global warming ...

Plan your first weekend of the season at a campground with full hookups, then take your time de-winterizing. Flush out the antifreeze, sanitize then flush out the bleach. It takes a bit of time and plenty of fresh water to do it right.

RV antifreeze is not toxic, unless taken intravenously.

If you have a campground nearby, just go there and do all your maintenance.

I bought my camper already winterized. I went to a campground and did all my de-winterizing there.

Keep your water tanks topped up and store it with water, so you are prepared and ready to boogie.

Good luck!

An added benefit of going to a campground the first time is that you'll probably find some helpful people if you run into problems with doing something.  Cherry Hill is a nice campground but usually full of tourists because it's so close to Washington (many of us stay there when in the area).  A lot of our northern friends just leave their RVs winterized until they get farther south and then stay at a campground when they're ready to dewinterize.  Take bottled water for drinking and flushing.

ArdraF

I gather it's not as toxic as the green stuff, ethylene glycol, and it hasn't picked up toxic contaminants from being used in an engine.

If it were toxic, it wouldn't be allowed in the fresh water systems. The taste is none too great, though.

Another dump station you can get to for free is at Greenbelt Park. They have potable water there also. You will need someone with you to step on the water valve while you fill the tank. No entrance fee for the park.

This is also a great campsite for checking out your RV for boondocking. No electricity or water at the site. They just raised the nightly fee to $20 this year.

Yes, I did some research on propylene glycol.  Turns out that -- unlike ethylene glycol, the green stuff, which is toxic -- propylene glycol is among other things a food additive "generally recognized as safe" by the FDA.  If you drink a lot of Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey (and who doesn't?) you're drinking more than the Swedes would allow, but in the USA you're good.  As far as environment impact, I gather that in large quantities propylene glycol can suck up the oxygen in bodies of water as it breaks down.  So, for example, if you dump a lot of Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey down the drain (don't we all?), you're depleting the oxygen in nearby lakes and streams.  But not by much.  I doubt disposing of an RV's worth of uncontaminated propylene glycol every year, no matter how you do it, poses a significant environmental risk.

My motorhome came winterized also.  I made sure my first campground had full hookups, and made a reservation. I picked one less than an hour from home in case I got into trouble.  When I got there, all I had to do was stand beside my rig and start opening up my new sewer hoses and water fill hoses and I got offers of help!  However, I told them thanks, but I needed at least to try it on my own. 

That weekend gave me an opportunity to learn how to hook up and dump stuff, and also unpack all the goodies I had bought for my kitchen, plus make the bed and wipe out cabinets.  And I had neighbors who were willing to jump in if I could not figure something out, so it was a very good weekend. 

Luckily, it rained that weekend and had one hot day, so I got to check for leaks on the rainy day and test my AC on the hot day.  Made sure furnace was working also.  I discovered a few things that needed to be fixed, so was able to drive it directly to the dealer the next day for warranty work. 

There are a few coin-operated car washes around that have very big bays for big boats and RVs, so you could do your dumping of antifreeze there, I suppose.  Except it is really better at a campground with full hookups because you can run a lot of water through your system to get the last bits of antifreeze out.

If you do this in the parking lot at your condo, non-toxic or not, some nosy neighbor with nothing better to do will complain to the board or call the fuzz. Be prepared to spend time explaining to people who have no clue. Especially that close to the "swamp".  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Maybe your Condo complex has an area set aside for washing vehicles, boats, Rv's and such ? Many do. Maybe contact the Office folks ?

Larry N. said:
If it were toxic, it wouldn't be allowed in the fresh water systems. The taste is none too great, though.

AND, it stinks like he77 if you get it in the water heater.........don't ask how I know this.lol

Back
Top Bottom