First time towing an rv trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flexible

Hello, I am new to the group. Here is my story.  I bought a 2017 8.5 x 26' Quicksilver ( Livin Lite ) toyhauler, absolutely love the trailer. I had a Blue Ox WD system put on at the dealers shop. I loaded my Tri-Glide as far forward as possible, my wife loaded all necessities for a 1 month stay in Arizona. I have a 2015 F-150 out front, here are my axle weights, steering- 3340 drive- 3980 trailer- 7240 with a total of 14,560 lbs. 730 lbs on the tongue ( Sherline scale ) . I have hauled heavy equipment for 30 years, and know what weight feels like. I do not care what Ford says or that the trailer manufacturer says you can pull this trailer with a 1/2 truck. I found out real quick that the truck was just not heavy enough to handle highway speeds. So now the fun part of all this, is deciding on a 250 or a 350 SRW truck, and would an anti sway with the Blue Ox WD hitch be advisable. Any input would be appreciated.

First, Welcome to the Forum!!  Your experience is a great asset.

I assume from your towing experience that you verified all weights were within the truck load limits.  If so, you have proven two thoughts shared here many times.  Especially with ? ton trucks, just because it is within weight limits does NOT mean you will be comfortable towing it!!  Towing a max load of bricks is VERY different from towing a max weight trailer.

The F250 is a much more substantial truck, and should serve you well.

Don't know what your trailer weighs, but i suspect the 250 will serve your needs.  The newer super duties are pretty heavy trucks.
If you need the 350 and towed with a 150  :eek:

My husband & I are pretty new to RV but we do own a fifth wheeler & recently purchased a golf cart to haul on 12 foot trailer. We REALLY want to haul behind our fifth wheeler rather than driving 2 vehicles but are having trouble finding anyone to prepare a hitch or whatever is needed to put on the back end of the fifth wheeler. any advice?? thank you!

TPORTER said:
My husband & I are pretty new to RV but we do own a fifth wheeler & recently purchased a golf cart to haul on 12 foot trailer. We REALLY want to haul behind our fifth wheeler rather than driving 2 vehicles but are having trouble finding anyone to prepare a hitch or whatever is needed to put on the back end of the fifth wheeler. any advice?? thank you!

You'll get a good answer if you create your own post. Just an fyi

TPORTER said:

Many states forbid towing a trailer behind a fifth wheel and that rule can apply to any state in which you may find yourself while traveling, not just your home state. Some of the western states don't object though. (Often called double or triple towing). You would be better off with a toy hauler style trailer, they are built especially to haul things like that.

The reason a welder may be refusing is could based on the construction of your particular trailer, it may not be well enough built to weld on the necessary hitch or the addition support that would be required. Golf carts are heavy (800-900 lbs + the trailer)

Flexible said:
So now the fun part of all this, is deciding on a 250 or a 350 SRW truck, and would an anti sway with the Blue Ox WD hitch be advisable. Any input would be appreciated.

Simple answer is a 250 will absolutely be fine with what you have.....BUT

I'd consider 350.  Price difference is negligible and it gives you a little more room if/when you decide to upgrade.
I'd roll with the WD hitch; heck you already bought it.
Anti-sway  Yes.

TPORTER said:

These are the states which allow triple towing but you have to be careful because there may be other restrictions, like a special license, maximum length and maybe more.

https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/triple_towing/

A 250 might be ok, but you will be better served by a 350. MHO.

Hello Flexible,

Does your 2015 F150 have "trailer sway control" built in? If so, you might want to turn it OFF and re-try a short tow. I am towing with a 2014 F150 with the Blue Ox system and experienced more than I thought sway on the freeway than I should, called to factory and they told me to turn off the electronic control because it fights against the Blue Ox and makes it worse. I did so and makes a world of difference. Also, at least with my supplied Blue Ox shank, it fits loosely in the receiver, in my opinion. It's diameter is slightly smaller than any other of the shelf shanks I measured. I added shims on the shank to tighten it up, also an improvement. Will probably replace the shank with a diff brand.
All or none of this may work for you nor am I suggesting you stick with the F150, it's just what I did and what worked for me.

Also, I noticed on the Livin Lite website they claim a "dry hitch weight" for your trailer (8.5x26FBR) at 846 lbs. Yours must be configured differently.
Good luck.

With toy haulers you really need a tongue weight scale because you are always changing the loading. Once you have it figured out and have a solid 13% just mark where to position things. If the engine is at the rear of the toy you may need to back it in. Also doing a real 3 pass weigh at a cat scale will tell you a lot and get some real tires on the truck. The P rated marshmallows can't hold that much weight without wiggling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom