Another newcomer needing tv advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hogzz1

We are going to get our first RV after months of looking.  We initially thought we would stay on the small size(rpod) but as we walked through realized we probably would be trading it in for something bigger in short order.  So we decided on a 2017 Winnebago 2401rg.

Gvwr 7000 and and 27' 11"

I initially thought I was going to be able to use my 2003 Tahoe but with this bigger unit, after reading lots on the forum, I understand that it's not the best idea (despite what the salesperson said).  Not only do we want to be safe, but I want to make sure wa are suited for longer distance trips.  The issue is that my company provides me a vehicle and gas and she doesn't want a truck to drive to work.  The Tahoe is the third vehicle and would be what I am replacing.

So I am trying to find some used trucks hopefully under $20,000 as it might get 5000 miles a year in it.  I've been confused if the chevy 1500 z71 / ford 150off road would give me the pulling power or if I need to step up to the 2500.  Or if you had $20000 what would you try to find...  Any help/advice would be appreciated.

2 people 2 dogs about 350lb total

A 7000 lb GVWR trailer is usually within the capability of many half ton trucks and also a few full size SUVs (e.g. Suburban & Yukon 2500).

You mentioned Ford and Chevy trucks with the offroad package, but "off road" is not very relevant to towing. A tow package would be more meaningful. You need to get more specific to determine the tow rating of a given truck, i.e. cab style, box length, engine & tranny. 2WD vs 4WD have different ratings, as do different engines and rear axles. Cab & box determine the wheel base, which is a major factor as well.

Trailer Life publishes an annual guide to tow ratings that you can use to evaluate trucks & suvs. Ford, GM and Ram each produce their own as well, but TL tries to consolidate them for easier truck shopping. Take a look at http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

For that trailer you should be looking for a truck or UV with a tow rating of 7700 lbs or more.

If I were in your shoes, I would look for a 2500 size pickup with a gas engine. A quick auto trader search turned up over 1,000 gasoline powered 2500 series trucks to choose from, all under $20,000.

With a 28' long trailer, I will guarantee you will not be happy pulling it with a 1/2 ton truck.

2500 series gasser is what I would also suggest.  Weight is not going to be a big issue, but length sure is.

It would depend on which Tahoe you have. Does it have a factory tow package on it, 2 or 4 wheel drive? A pickup with a longer wheel base will pull it better, but the Tahoe may just fine. Hook it up and try it, if your Tahoe is rated for the weight. What engine is in the Tahoe?

Back
Top Bottom