Ability to cast a fly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Concerned about my ability to cast a fly during our upcoming stay in WY, in addition to having some issues playing a full-size guitar, today I sought help from a local orthopaedic clinic. See this message for details.

You probably have enough time to work a bit on casting with your other hand.  Never a bad skill to have in the quiver. I've only played with it stream-side, but in a pinch can get a fly out there, even if not the distance or control I usually get.  Even when healthy, it can come in handy when getting into a different position just isn't possible, and putting the time, and structure, into the learning process can make you better caster overall.
Good luck.  WY is a great visit.

Wouldn't help much, since both shoulders have a problem. But I agree that 'wrong hand casting' ability might come in handy. I suspect I'd have a very long learning/adaptive time. OTOH when I worked with tools for a living, I was OK with wrong-handed use.

WY is a great visit.

Yep, spent a few months there the last couple of years, and return again this year. 4 miles from the ID state line, so lots of stream fishing in both states.

Tom, I was thinking about you today when I bought my MN fishing license and trout stamp.  How is the shoulder, guitar playing, and fly fishing going?

Thanks for asking Max. The injections in my shoulders made a huge improvement in range of motion and (reduction in) pain.

I'm still playing the 3/4 size guitar, and was thinking it was time to switch to my full size.

Meanwhile, I'm getting ready to buy my WY and ID licenses. Plan to be up there next week.

A trick my Dad and I used to use in a restricted environment such as bushes along the stream, was the "slingshot cast".  Just pull out enough line to satisfy the distance you want to reach and then grab the hook tightly and bend the rod back in towards you, then release.  A nine foot rod can generate a lot of power and with practice you can place the lure fairly accurately.  Watch out for the barb and only hold on the farthest part of the curve in hook. Most inland streams in this part of Canada require you to use barbless hooks, so as long as you "don't get the point",  you're good to go. 8)

Just another thought.  Never had these back when I was fishing, but you could try an Archery Mechanical string release.  Might be safer and also easier on your fingers.  Catch a big one.

Thanks for that tip Gord. Hadn't heard of or seen the slingshot cast, but I'll give it a try on our upcoming trip.

Bumpty bumpty years ago fishing the High Sierra streams, my Grandfather taught us this technique.  He was motivated by having to extract flies from trees while his grandchildren were learning how to fish.  Patient man! but soon after restricted our fishing to lakeside docks.  ;D

You're welcome, Tom

Another one, if you are clear behind is just to tuck your elbow into your side and cant your forearm to about a 30 to 35 deg. angle, then use just a 60 deg. back to 120 degree foreward quick motion.  make sure you are holding enough free line in your free hand. This one challenges your wrists somewhat but it works fine if you can get the rhymn going. (Here I am preaching rhymn to a musician! Ha!) Perhaps this will ease the pressure on your shoulder.
WICBT (Wish I could be there) 8)

Thanks again Gord. I've used an improvised version of that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom