EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com ARPC LLC Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Ability to cast a fly  (Read 458 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Ability to cast a fly
« on: March 09, 2017, 06:27:19 PM »
Concerned about my ability to cast a fly during our upcoming stay in WY, in addition to having some issues playing a full-size guitar, today I sought help from a local orthopaedic clinic. See this message for details.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

fishingbob

• ---
Re: Ability to cast a fly
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 12:37:44 PM »
You probably have enough time to work a bit on casting with your other hand.  Never a bad skill to have in the quiver. I've only played with it stream-side, but in a pinch can get a fly out there, even if not the distance or control I usually get.  Even when healthy, it can come in handy when getting into a different position just isn't possible, and putting the time, and structure, into the learning process can make you better caster overall.
Good luck.  WY is a great visit.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 01:28:58 PM »
Wouldn't help much, since both shoulders have a problem. But I agree that 'wrong hand casting' ability might come in handy. I suspect I'd have a very long learning/adaptive time. OTOH when I worked with tools for a living, I was OK with wrong-handed use.

WY is a great visit.

Yep, spent a few months there the last couple of years, and return again this year. 4 miles from the ID state line, so lots of stream fishing in both states.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

William52

• ---
  • Common sense is not common anymore.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 08:15:34 PM »
Keep casts short or high and there's always the roll cast.  You can always let the current take a streamer out and swim it back. Good luck.
2000 Pace Arrow M35N F53 V10 Ford  100,000 + miles purrs like a kitten. Yes I am old school.         2007 Honda VTX double dark side

Hosted by Over The Network