Singing with asthma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I've been a lifetime asthmatic.  For the last 45-50 years I haven't been without a "rescue inhaler" in my pocket, and always take a precautionary 'puff' before singing.

Yesterday I reached into my pocket before our Delta Strummers concert, and was horrified to realize the inhaler wasn't there  :eek:  I'd changed my pants before leaving home, and had failed to transfer the inhaler. As many asthmatics know, the knowledge of not having an inhaler can trigger an asthma attack.

Chris was busy shuttling folks to our concert and, when she finished, I called and explained my predicament; She immediately said she'd drive home (an hour round trip). I mentioned it to the lady sitting next to me, who happens to be an asthmatic and carries an inhaler. She rummaged through her bag, thinking she'd let me take a 'puff', but she was equally horrified to realize she'd changed her bag and didn't have her inhaler. She also realized she didn't have her EPI pen.

Our concert started 15 minutes early, and I kept looking over my shoulder to see if Chris arrived. It turned out that roadworks and other traffic delayed her return until the concert was finished. When it came to my closing solo, I decided to go ahead and sing, and made it through, phew!

Both of you without your inhalers! That could have had a very different ending. Congratulations on performing and making it through without needing a puff.

That could have had a very different ending.

Aye,it could have been. I left the concert (after meeting up with Chris and taking a puff), and headed to WalMart, looking for a low-cost over-the-counter backup I could leave in the glove compartments of our cars. They didn't have it in stock, but the WM pharmacist told me what to buy.

When we first came to California, I used to buy Primatene Mist OTC, but they stopped selling it. I used to think it was because of the death of a singer who essentially overdosed on it. But it seems it was because of the ban on CFCs as the repellant. My (high $$$) RX inhaler also had to eliminate CFCs as a propellant, and the replacement spring-driven propulsion is somewhat pathetic.

I have no issues with protecting the ozone layer, but denying me something that allows me to breath doesn't sit right, especially when my inhaling doesn't affect the atmosphere.

The American Lung Association web site has a great saying:

When you can't breathe, nothing else matters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom