care for tires in a seasonal set-up of 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryC

We have just purchased a used 5th wheel and will have it delivered to a seasonal site in NH.  We do not have a truck to move it once it is set in place by the dealer.  Do we need to worry about the tires long-term?
Would appreciate advice at [email protected]

You will probably want fresh tires if you ever move it again. They will then likely be old enough to need replacing. You can wait until then.

Using jacks & stands, you can pull the wheels off and take them to a tire store. Buy the tires online or at the store, whichever is less expensive.

As Stephen says, tires die of old age, and unused tires die faster than those that get regular exercise. And since this is a used 5W, the tires may already be old. Trailer tires seldom last more than about 5 years from their "born on date", which is shown in the DOT code on each tire sidewall. See the RVForum Glossary for info on Tire Date Codes:
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?action=Glossary#Tire%20Manufacturing%20Date%20Codes

I think if I was going to set-up a trailer in a place such as Whit?s End I would fully enclose it as shown in the attached picture. I also think I would put the trailer on blocks and remove the tire/wheel assemblies and store them stacked and covered. I would also cover the brake and hub assemblies to protect them from moisture.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=29574

you should jack the trailer at the axles to keep the tires off the ground and weight off of them if you plan on not moving it for more than a month. I saw this on MAV TV and they look nice, I have no experience with them though. You place them under your axle and either pull forward or backward depending on how you place them. They will roll the axle up and set like jack stands. Or you can do it the old fashion tried and true method with jacks and jack stands

Attachments

• 20160124_trailerlegs_07w.jpg
    20160124_trailerlegs_07w.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom