Driving Styles ( Bad Weather )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

systemcat

I just got through a book meant to be an introduction to the RV lifestyle. I read it hoping for new tips. .. Eh, common sense stuff. But it left me a little worried and I'm not sure I should be. It drove home "be afraid, be VERY AFRAID of bad weather while moving!"

If you've seen a touch of my earlier posting, you know my only past experience with large vehicles are U-Hauls. Good sized machines and the last driven was the size of my C-Class. I don't know if the author was talking in general about RV driving or just the larger sized ones like A-Class & Diesel. I admit fearful but successful, that last U-Haul trip was in awful weather taken across a few states over several days like that. I don't know if this is something worth remembering to others, this happened during that front that while it hit the Gulf of Mexico last August, it hit a few other states as well.

Is the handling that different? They're the same size.
The only time I've had weather issues with a vehicle was with a 49CC Scooter.

I think we have the same book!
I too am "new" to the RV experience.  We just picked up a 34 foot class A.  I have only really driven any distance with it three times. First, when I bought it, about 50 miles, and the second and third time when we took it out for our "maiden" voyage, about 100 miles each way.  Out of those three times it was raining twice.  On the day I brought it home, by the time all was said and done it was near dusk and the rain had let up and was forecast to be clearing.  Didn't happen, I spent the next 1.5 hours on the freeway in rush hour traffic, in POURING rain, going 35 mph with all the other idiots trying to get home. 4 miles of that was through construction zones with K rail for dividers. The drivers windshield wiper only wiped the top half of the windscreen so I pulled everything I could find to raise my self up in the seat.  5 miles from home the passengers wiper decided it didn't want to play.
Coming home from our "maiden" voyage I started off with a light rain.  No worries, I got this! (I had cured the wiper issues and had new tires) Smooth sailing.....until the wind came up.  Direct cross wind 25-30 mph with gusts to 50. Amazing how straight the rig goes with the steering wheel 10-15 degrees off to hold the line.  First rest stop, parked it for an hour until the front had passed. I think I want my cup of knowledge to fill up before my cup of luck runs out!  Little steps, little steps!
It's like the rest of the book, use your head, and a bit of common sense....

Books often don't give you the background or suitable explanation after they scare you. I am sure the author was looking at high winds often found in storms etc... Many RV's have ended up on their side in extremely windy conditions. Rain and snow/ice also offer some unique driving conditions. We went across Nebraska last summer into Colorado and encountered some nasty winds for about 250 miles. Even the big trucks were slowing down to 30mph in some places where the wind was directly across the highway. I got tired and found a campground and spent 2 days until the wind subsided. I believe this is the type of thing the author was trying to get across.

As a trucker, I can tell you this...
Yes, be afraid if you want to. Nothing to be ashamed of. That's normal. Don't develop a confidence in yourself that leads you to take unnecessary chances and risks.
The bottom line is if you are uncomfortable driving due to weather, get off the road and park it somewhere. It doesn't matter what you are driving. The one behind the steering wheel has to make the ultimate decision.

There have been many times over the past 30 years when I've made the call to my dispatcher telling him the load is going to be late due to weather. I know when it's unsafe for me to travel in too high of wind, too icy, low visibility, etc.
Think of your family as your "cargo". It's not worth putting you all at risk if you are unsure of yourself behind the wheel.

Experience is a great teacher. Common sense helps keep you out of trouble. Don't push either one of them.  :)

I prefer "respectful" rather than "afraid", but scare tactics sell books and videos, so that's what we get.  Driving a large vehicle, one should certainly  develop a healthy respect for high winds, heavy rains, soft ground and excessive speed. Things you can probably get away with in a passenger car too often won't cut it with a big rig, if for no other reason because it takes longer to stop. And the ramifications of an error in judgement are often larger as well. So by all means be cautious, but not afraid. Most of all, don't get all macho and continue driving when your common sense is saying "this is bad - we oughta stop". You have a well-equipped home around you, so just get off the road and wait (in comfort) for the weather to ease up.

Mooney 78865 said:
I believe that's the one...

I'm sorry if it's the short title which might seem off. It has a longer title ... Like what feels just about a paragraph in length.

Gary RVer Emeritus-
That's how I treat driving in bad weather.

It's the thought wind could easily make an RV tip over that scares me. Thoughts like that are why I'm planning on taking out a renter's insurance policy on it. Thing is even without it moving currently, when it's windy you can hear it being heavily buffered while inside it and that can make you wonder.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
I prefer "respectful" rather than "afraid", but scare tactics sell books and videos, so that's what we get.  Driving a large vehicle, one should certainly  develop a healthy respect for high winds, heavy rains, soft ground and excessive speed. Things you can probably get away with in a passenger car too often won't cut it with a big rig, if for no other reason because it takes longer to stop. And the ramifications of an error in judgement are often larger as well. So by all means be cautious, but not afraid. Most of all, don't get all macho and continue driving when your common sense is saying "this is bad - we oughta stop". You have a well-equipped home around you, so just get off the road and wait (in comfort) for the weather to ease up.
Many moons ago when I was getting my pilots license, it was beat into me that "get there itus" was the death nail of flying. You push through weather, stretch the fuel that little bit longer.  I've turned back a number of times due to weather, and made that "extra" stop for fuel just as many. After getting my instrument ticket, my wife and I were going to a "fly in" just across the valley, maybe 45 minutes flight time.  Weather was clear and a thousand at our destination.  However, at our home airport, ceilings were a base of 600 ft, tops 2,000-2,500 ft with a RVR of about 1/2 mile.  Well above minimums, and well above my personal minimums.  Apparently, not my wife's. This was her first time flying with me IFR.  After takeoff, and the usual drill of putting the gear up, flaps, prop etc, we were well and truly in the clouds.  Couldn't see the prop, let alone the fuel caps in each wing.  We were based at a towered airport so there was the usual chatter over the radio.  My wife said "You can't see the other planes"  I responded, " That's OK, they can't see me either" (I'm not sure if she has ever fully grasped the concept of "positively" controlled air space.)  I think it's safe to say, that is probably the longest 45 minutes of our marriage!
I agree with Gary, Respect is a much better term than afraid...

I dunno. Fear is an excellent word for it.
If you don't know you abilities, and you don't know how your vehicle is going to handle in given conditions, let that fear drive your planning.
RV's tend to be high-profile, low weight vehicles. the wind can push them around pretty easily, and you are better off seeking shelter than trying to "soldier through" a nasty bought of wind and severe weather.
I've had to drive through some really bad weather many times, and probably survived as much due to the Grace of God, as my abilities and skills.

If it's not a matter of life and death, wait out the weather. Even if it is a matter of life and death, you don't gain anything if you end up on your side, or down the bottom of a hill.

And, if you're reading a "how-to" book, then you probably need to make that differentiation between fear and common sense. The common sense comes with experience, but only when you actually survive that experience.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
I prefer "respectful" rather than "afraid", but scare tactics sell books and videos, so that's what we get.

Fear grabs you by the heart. You tend to take notice faster and hopefully react accordingly.
Being respectful can be too little, too late.

A matter of interpretation. I guess I'm not afraid to be afraid once in a while. I don't care about the sale of books and videos.
I have over a million miles under my belt. Not bragging. Just saying I've had a trailer or two come around on me when I should have hit the rest area prior.

Respecting the weather only gets you to the point where you, as the driver, need to listen to your fear on whether to continue driving or not. 

Information is key to making good choices. With modern weather predictions and government road reports you can make the proper decision easier now than in the past. Smart phones are the travellers best friend. We were travelling recently through California and the road report for east of Bakersfield was high winds in the mountain pass and not recommended for trailers and rvs. We found a park in Bakersfield. Several hours later we heard on the news a tractor trailer had been blown on its side basically the way we were heading. We waited until the next day, then headed out.  It pays to monitor the govt road conditions and the weather reports.

Will Rogers said, "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." Be safe. Have fun. Your life is much more precious than getting there "on time."

I have a policy of not driving in winds over 25 MPH, and that is probably pushing it, especially if it is a side wind.  And if someone says I have to put chains on my motorhome, forget it!  I will go back downhill or park until it has melted.  And I am from a state where we are used to driving in snow and ice.

I was driving in New Mexico last winter in fairly mild winds, a lot less than 25 MPH, and I went over the crest of a hill at my usual 62-65 MPH in the right lane o I-10.  Suddenly, I was blown halfway into the left lane.  Whew!  Luckily no one was over there, but it was very scary.  No time to steer because it was so sudden--just got blown sideways. 

The thing is, you are driving a tall vehicle that is not as heavy (at least my Class C, Class A fully loaded might be heavier) as the big trucks, so you are much more susceptible to winds.  And often, especially in barren desert situation, the wind hits the side of a hill or mountain and goes sideway. 

Most of us either slow down substantially or do not drive in high winds.

Punomatic said:
Will Rogers said, "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." Be safe. Have fun. Your life is much more precious than getting there "on time."

Excellent!

Bravo!

Here is what an RV looks like driving too fast in brisk winds.

Don't let the drivers behind you dictate your driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOqARlw1EI

He was also pulling straight off the ball. That dually may have been able to handle the weight of that trailer, bit I bet he wished he had a WDH with built-in sway control. That still may not have saved him though.

I had that happen in a car once.. And on FOOT once.. Yes, I was walking on the sidewalk on the upwind side of the street, came out from beside a building (Michigan National Bank Buliding, In Battle Creek MI, on Capitol and what is now the pedisterian mall or was when last I was there, Micigan Ave I think) and suddenly I was in the middle of Capitol Ave.. On the center line, Just like that. ... I literally got blown away.

Never had it happen in the RV.

Policy in the RV is when it gets too scary..... PARK.

What is amazing is that the guy in the video had already gone through that tunnel!!  So he missed the height sign on the tunnel as well as the sign telling him no RVs and trailers. 

Another reason to have a GPS that warns you of road restrictions and low tunnels and bridges.  I bought one after having to back up through a four-way stop sign to avoid a low bridge.  Unless I ignore it, it keeps me out of trouble.

The best advice I was given when I first started to drive my motorhome was to not worry about the cars behind you and instead focus on the road ahead and what I needed to do to drive safely.  If they were pushing me to drive faster than was safe, I should ignore them. 

Back
Top Bottom