Naughty Feline Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

systemcat

I know I have to introduce him to it and it's best to do this act while it's not about to be driven. Thing is I fear how this will go down. He gets pissy when in his carrier, which this has to be done before hand and after. But inside the machine? I hope he reacts to it like he would a hotel or motel room ( just wandering sniffy sniffy ). The downside and this is what I fear. Pissing and getting into some nook which makes it hard for me to get him out of it. ... He once did something for the history books in a Motel 6. How do you deal with a cat that behalves this way?

First you gotta cat proof the RV so there is no place he can get into that he can't get out of. Then put him in there and let him have a fit. He will get over it probably.

I agree with the cat-proof.. On my Damon the cats would, sneak under the bed slide out when the thing was in motion.... Now open or closed they could not get in/out from under it but even with keeping a sharp eye out they got past us,,,  Had to release them many times.

Finally cut a portal under the foot of the bet so they can get out and another so we can see 'em.

Now, Moving, that's where he hides (She is no longer with us) (Same for my wife I might add).  But HE (Alex, about 25-30 pounds of Maine Coon almost male (Fixed as they say) spends most nights (And days) on top of the bed.. he likes to cuddle.

systemcat said:
How do you deal with a cat that behalves this way?

Hope I don't ramble on too much here.  As feline owners being close to our companions I think we often overlook the fact that their behavior is instinctual and arises from pre-programmed brain patterns.  They are not cognitive problem solvers.  In unfamiliar territory, their responses are fear-based - I.e. they cannot "think" their way out of that fear.  A cat has two primary, basic, pre-set views of their environment -- they are either a predator or they are prey.  Guess which mind-set they experience when they are suddenly thrust into an alien environment with no familiar visual, olfactory, or auditory patterns that define their "territory"?  Yes, the fear of being prey takes over which is why they want to hide - at least until they are able to establish familiarity.  It is also why being confined in a small space with no escape (carrier) often exacerbates that "I'm a sitting duck" brain state that stresses them.  The extent to which one feline individual experiences these predator/prey mind states compared to another is all over the place.  They each have their distinctive personalities as well as learned brain responses based on their unique experiences.

What I'm suggesting is that one tries to understand how the cats are experiencing what is happening and strive to accommodate them by reducing the fear factor.  Give them a safe larger type enclosure with a interior configuration that allows them to hide when needed and as they have moments where their curiosity overcomes the fear they can see out and learn this new territory.  The sniffing in the motel is learning the territory for example.  Let the cat calmly roam the trailer, while not moving as you sit calmly by projecting your best "I'm your buddy" attitude.  Repeat numerous times and eventually add play time and then feeding.  All before you travel anywhere. 

There are some good resources out there on cat psychology which can say this and much more far better than my puny summary.  Figuring out as best we can why our cats are reacting as they are (understanding their brain responses to various stimuli) means we can alter the environment and likely elicit a better less stressful behavior from them.

Several posts last week described these behaviors -- crawling around vehicles is 1) looking for the hiding place, 2) trying to find familiar environmental sights, smells and sounds that signal their are safe.  Acclamation is likely the only thing one can do.  Some cats will acclimate more quickly, others will take longer and hopefully ALL can learn to be comfortable when their humans decide to travel. 

I believe letting the animal have a fit, or in other words, creating an environment where in reality the cat has no choice but to freak out is harmful, because it may result in a learned response which will re-occur and set a pattern that will be very very difficult to change if at all. 

One last thing.  You gotta let go of your fear about this process because your cat most definitely picks up on and reacts to that fear.  To the best extent you can, you have to maintain your routines with the kitty -- they are creatures of habit and strive for stable patterns and be positive about your experiences with him.  Hope your efforts are MUCHO successful!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom