Ipad won't charge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
I have an Ipad 2, several generations old but has always worked fine.  Starting yesterday morning, the battery will not charge.  :-\  I've tried just about everything I can find on Google... made sure cable is secure on both ends, tried two different cords, plugged into both wall charger and various computers, blew out the charging port with compressed air to displace any dust/lint, forced device shutdown for a clean reboot.  No change with any of those methods.

Here's what's odd.  When I connect the Ipad to a computer via USB, the computer gives me the musical "da-dum!" as a confirmation of USB connection.  But no data transfer window pops up ("Unknown device" according to USB listing) and no automatic charging occurs.  So there's a connection of some type, but not a full one.  Since that happens with every computer I've tried (3 of them now) it's not a PC driver issue.  It has to be something with the Ipad itself, but I'd think if the charging port went bad then it wouldn't be recognized at all by a computer.  I had that happen with an older Ipod Touch in the past.

Any other ideas from those of you familiar with Apple devices?

:'( Not something a pushbutton will fix. Sounds like it is time to visit your local repair shop. Either the USB connector/connection internally has broken or the internal power supply has failed. If the connector, repair cost should not be to severe since it is just a connector on a short ribbon cable attached to the mother board inside. Since the USB connection is not recognized by a computer I would suspect the connector/connection.
Here is repair video.
Here is  a repair part.
Good luck!

DW had the same problem. We took it to Simply Mac three times and they couldn't figure it out. Then we took it to an independent computer repair guy who has done other work for us.  He said, "Do a factory reset of the iPad." You have to connect to a PC or Mac computer and then get on iTunes. Be sure you back up the iPad to iCloud first. It worked like a champ for us. Also, be sure you are using Apple certified charging block and cable.

If a factory reset does not fix the problem, then its likely done for.  Repairs could easily cost you more than a new tablet.  Being that old its probably a good time to upgrade anyhow.

Newly discovered update... it will still charge, but only when powered OFF.  ??? And there is no indication of charging (battery light or screen indicator) but it happens.  As soon as I turn the unit on, the charging stops as if I unplugged it (even though I didn't).

Punomatic said:
He said, "Do a factory reset of the iPad." You have to connect to a PC or Mac computer and then get on iTunes. Be sure you back up the iPad to iCloud first. It worked like a champ for us. Also, be sure you are using Apple certified charging block and cable.

Problem with backup is, the unit will not connect to my PC.  The computer makes the musical connection noise when the USB cord is plugged into the side, but my PC sees it as an "Unrecognized USB device" and no data transfer options are available.  Same results on three different computers.  I tried an iCloud backup this morning, and status bar said it would take 9 hours.  :p  No way the battery would last that long, since it does not charge when powered on (and power is required for iCloud backup).

donn said:
If a factory reset does not fix the problem, then its likely done for.  Repairs could easily cost you more than a new tablet.  Being that old its probably a good time to upgrade anyhow.

Those were my thoughts too, but I'd sure like to figure out a way to back it up first.  I don't keep anything TOO important on there, it would just be an inconvenience to reinstall everything and the kids probably don't want to start all of their games over again.  ;)  I'm not sure what Apple remembers by default, in terms of apps installed, etc.

You might consider taking it to the Apple store and have one of their people check it out.
DW and I both have ipad 1 and the Apple Genius still help us when needed.

I've never set foot in an Apple store, and I kind of assumed they would charge me $X just to even look at it.  But I'm glad if that's not the case, and it may come to that soon.

Have you done a hard reset? 

Power it off by holding the power button long enough for the "slide to power off" dialog to appear and do it.

Once it shuts down completely hold the home button and power buttons both down until the apple logo appears TWICE.  Once it appears the second time release both buttons.

This is what cured mine of charging problems.

Another common charging issue is 'stuff' in the connector on the iPad.  I frayed the end of a toothpick and lightly dampened it with isopropyl alcohol and used it to carefully fish the crap out and clean the connector.

I recently had the same problem with my iPhone. The problem? DIRT!

There was some dirt in the charging slot on the phone. Carefully cleaning it out with a toothpick and some contact cleaner fixed it.

scottydl said:
I've never set foot in an Apple store, and I kind of assumed they would charge me $X just to even look at it.  But I'm glad if that's not the case, and it may come to that soon.

You Will be charged for any needed repair unless you have a warranty.  From your description I am guessing you do not.  If someone says they do not get charged, they are very lucky

After about 6 weeks the charging problem remains, but I've learned to live with it since the Ipad DOES charge... but only when it's completely powered off.  (That was never the case before.)  It does not recognize any USB data transfer options when powered on and plugged into a PC.

I've tried all of the above suggestions except a complete wipe/reinstall of the OS and drivers... if that's even doable with an Apple device like it is a Windows PC.  Maybe I'll get to it eventually, but for now I've gotten used to the limited charging options.

Of course there's a way of resetting it to factory settings.  It's really simple, even if you can't sync it to a Mac or pc.  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

Yes you can wipe clean an Apple device.  I suspect a bent pin in the port.you would need a good magnifier and light to see in there.  If you find one you may be able to straighten it using a toothpick.

Back
Top Bottom