EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: California to Mt. Rushmore to Tetons to Bitterroot  (Read 366 times)

Chappy5

• ---
California to Mt. Rushmore to Tetons to Bitterroot
« on: March 13, 2017, 02:12:26 PM »
Hello,

My wife and I are planning a trip for this summer, from central California to Mt. Rushmore and the Tetons, then back home.  We’d like to avoid southern Idaho (hwy 84, 86, 15 route) just because we did that last year when we went to Yellowstone.  A little background:

-   Traveling with a 35-foot 5th wheel
-   Estimating this will be about 3 weeks, sometime early June or mid-July
-   Three kiddos, 10, 7, and 5
-   A six hour day in the truck is a long day, but we have several of those
-   Caravan style with grandparents, they will have a separate truck with their 5er.
-   Last year we did 3,000+ miles and stayed in RV parks the whole time….looking for a little more adventure this time and open to at least several boondocking opportunities. 

Criteria for planning the trip was provided by my wife: “I want to go to Mt. Rushmore and see the Tetons, you fill the rest of the trip.” Here ( https://goo.gl/maps/4LxiVzAwK392 ) is a link to the draft route.  I haven’t nailed down places to stay, I’ve just chosen stops/towns that are spaced well for daily driving.  The towns called out on the map are the current proposed stops.

I know that’s a lot.  I’m looking for anything from general suggestions to nitty-grity details and suggestions of places to stay.  The only specific question I have is will there be any issues crossing from Jackson WY to ID on hwy 22/33, and similarly I see lots of squiggles on hwy 12 leaving the Missoula/Bitterroot area, then south along 95.  Any issues with those sections with a 5er? 

As a side note, my father-in-law is recently retired from a career with a railroad so any really cool railroad destination suggestions are welcome also. 

Thanks!

Map:
https://goo.gl/maps/4LxiVzAwK392

kdbgoat

• ---
Re: California to Mt. Rushmore to Tetons to Bitterroot
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 02:23:52 PM »

The only specific question I have is will there be any issues crossing from Jackson WY to ID on hwy 22/33, and similarly I see lots of squiggles on hwy 12 leaving the Missoula/Bitterroot area, then south along 95.  Any issues with those sections with a 5er? 

When you have some free time on your hands, use the street view on Google Earth and "drive" the sections you have questions about. Often, one can see and read the grade signs and get an idea of what the inclines are too.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Home is where you make it.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 03:59:55 PM »
Douglas, Wyoming has a pretty cool railroad museum.  For the overnight at Casper, google Ayers Natural Bridge.  It's a free campsite about 5 miles off 25 between Casper and Douglas.  You will absolutely think you are in the wrong place for 4 1/2 of those miles.  It's dry camping in a county park and the only down side is they don't allow pets.
Between the park and Douglas we ended up staying an extra day because we liked it so much.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo w/ Ami the tiny co-pilot
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 04:17:51 PM »
Well, SR-22 climbing to Teton Pass is a 7-10% grade. Other than that, its not bad.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

Chappy5

• ---
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 11:09:05 PM »
Thank you all for the input!  goat - thanks, from my employer, for killing half a day of productivity as I virtually drove the route through MT.  crow, I passed this along to my father in law and it's officially on the schedule...and Lars, trying to figure out if you're being sarcastic or not...the climb from Salt Lake City up to Park City on 80 pushed the limits of my cooling system on an early July trip last year so anything like that will make me a little nervous.  Thanks again for the replies!

Dennis

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 08:52:40 PM »
Most people with RV's going from ID to/from Jackson, WY, drop down a little south of Jackson and take Hwy 26 to ID.  The 22/31 route is pretty narrow, very steep and windy. 
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 09:01:06 PM »
Since you are traveling with kids, I would take the interstates and get to your destination as quickly as possible.  That is what we always did with our kids (early 40's now).  This gets you to the place you want to visit, set up your RV for several days or more and do your daily trips with things to entertain the kids as well as seeing what you want to see.  Plan on getting back to the RV in mid afternoon so the kids can play.  It tends to make them happier. 
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Hosted by Over The Network