Mini Cooper towing 4 down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jth

Just purchase a 2007 Mini Cooper S, 6 speed manual trans, already set up for towing 4 down; Blue Ox equipment w portable Patriot braking system. Purchased from ad in the RV Forum for sale section. Great. My issue: battery dead each time I reach my overnight stop. I have followed the instructions given to me by the seller but to no avail; put the gear shift in neutral, make sure emergency brake is off, place Fob in ignition to unlock steering wheel. The bells ring and some lights come on but seem to go back out. No help in the manual. Has someone had this issue and can advice me as to what I'M DOING WRONG? Any help out there in RV world?

John Hawthorne, N. Myrtle Beach, SC

Not sure, but does the Mini have a Lock - ACC - Run - Start key configuration?  If your key is in Run, lights will come on, then off, as if you were about to start the car, then draw power for the motor, ignition, etc.  In the ACC position, only things like radio and aux power should be powered.

If it's has GPS the display has to be off.  If we leave the display on in the CRV it will go dead in a couple of hours.

No key, a fob, I guess they call it. Place in slot, then push in, press start/stop button; car cranks. I have found that if you just place the fob into the slot but not push in, the steering wheel seems to be unlocked. If you start and stop ignition then that function ceases for a time, have not been able to determine that length of time as yet. I'm concerned about towing using that process because I do not know if the wheel will stay unlocked. I was hoping that someone with a Mini has a toad could answer my questions about the car. I have only had this vehicle for a few days. Purchased it because it was ready to tow four down. Former owner can't figure why I'm having problems; following all his directions. 3 night time stops, 3 times dead battery. Glad I carry a power booster in the MH.

No GPS in this car but sometime is staying on. Just can't figure out how to unlock steering without having something drawing down the battery. So far have found no mini dealers or foreign car repair shops who might help.

John Hawthorne, N. Myrtle Beach, SC

I think I would call the seller for more training.

JFN, I've talked with seller 3 times and he can't figure why I'm having the issue following his directions. I stopped by a foreign car repair shop yesterday and they were not much help either. The mechanic indicated that the systems go to sleep on the car 30 min after shut down. The steering lock appears to release after the 30 min but he could no say that if being towed it would stay unlocked. I'm not secure in chancing it at this time. Mechanic suggested what I have already researched and that is a battery disconnect. I'm hoping to find a mini toad user who has had the steering wheel lock issue pulling 4 down. I have read that newer models above the 2007 do not have the wheel lock or the issue with the wheel lock. Thanks for suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom