Surprising lack of 4 down towable mini trucks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
The DW and I have recently been exploring the possibilty of changing out the towed vehicle (2008 Jeep Rubicon) for a mid size pickup. We would want 4X4, quad cab, and the normal ammenities. I used to own a Dodge Dakota, 2WD that was really nice, but not towable 4 down because of the lack of transfer case. 

When I went back recently to look at what was available, I was truly surprised by the lack of options out there. Right now Chevy has the Colorado, and GMC the sister Canyon.  That is it. And we received the 2017 motorhome towing guide today in the mail.  Interestingly, the GMC is listed, but the Chevy is not :eek:

Also not listed are any entries from Toyota or Nissan. ???  Rumor is that Dodge and Ford have models in the pipe that may be out eventually.  Jeep also is set to debut a Jeep Wrangler truck version, late 2017. 

Hoping this will change soon. I was surprised that Toyota or Nissan 4X4's would totally bypass this market option.

I have about 3,000 tow miles on my 15 Tacoma. Had to install a rear drive line disconnect, but like you I wanted a smaller truck. I have had Tacomas in the past and was not impressed by the Colorado.

The company I work for has a LOT of Colorados. The general consensus here is everybody hates them. We fight to hold on to our old F-150's. The F-150 assigned to me has 270k miles and I'm not ready to give it up because I would get a Colorado. The Colorado's seem to have a lot of issues with the timing chain. Not a very long lasting engine. I'm still trying to figure out why the company keeps buying them.

Wow, surprised to hear that about the Chevy.  Is the general dislike because they are smaller than the F-150? Is the ride worse because it's smaller?  Are the Colorado's  your company uses regular cab or Quad cab?

I used to have a Dodge Dakota 2WD pickup.  I really liked it, it drove nice and ran well. I got rid of it when we started full timing in 2008 because it was 2WD.

We currently have an 08 Dakota 4x4 that we are setting up to tow 4 down, and Sarge is right there is only 1 choice for 4 down towing in the small size P/U group and that's Chevy/GMC.  We want the truck so that we can load our Honda Shadow in the bed and have that with us too while full timing.

SargeW said:
Wow, surprised to hear that about the Chevy.  Is the general dislike because they are smaller than the F-150? Is the ride worse because it's smaller?  Are the Colorado's  your company uses regular cab or Quad cab?

Yes, yes, and Quad cab.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom