Towing a manual honda civic coupe 2008 behind motorhome, anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcline

Darn!

I just installed a blue ox tow plates on my 2008 standard transmission honda civic coupe. Unfortunately, I just saw in the manual that it is not designed to be towable behind a motorhome.

Has anyone tried to tow a  2008 standard transmission honda civic coupe?.....I mean it is standard transmission, I don't see why would not.

It really depends on how it is set up mechanically.  The drive shaft WILL turn, and it is connected to the transmission.  If transmission gears turn, even in neutral, then they must be lubricated.  If the tranny lube pump runs off the engine end of the gearing, there may be no real lubrication when being towed.  This could destroy a tranny.    If the gears "splash" sufficient oil to keep things cool, you are fine.

You MAY be okay, but Honda has not spent the time or money to verify it is okay.  If they simply say NO, they can not be liable for damage if you choose to do it.

Have I sufficiently muddied the water for you?  ;D

Remco Towing lists the 2008 Honda Civic with 6 speed manual as towable as long as speed is limited to 65 mph, based on reports from numerous owners. Use the emergency towing instruction in the owner manual.

Honda doesn't officially approve of recreational towing, but that is largely a warranty concern. The possibility of abuse while towing is fairly great, yet everybody who has a tranny failure swears they followed the tow instructions to the letter.

As Grashley says, the front wheel drive shaft spins the back end of the tranny gears as the wheels turn, and FWD trans-axles require lubrication to survive. Less than an automatic, but not zero. That is probably the reason for the 65 mph restriction - lubrication becomes more critical as speed increases. Longer time is a factor as well. A good practice is to stop and run the engine every 3-4 hours, to redistribute the hydraulic fluid that lubricates and cools the gears.

Thanks for the tip

I found this on Remco

2008 Honda Civic ALL FWD I4 1.8L cyl 5-Speed Manual Manual
Notes

Towable as is with speed and/or distance restrictions. Please see Owner's Manual for confirmation and procedures.
It is not recommended to tow this vehicle over 65MPH
When towing for an extended period of time, start the vehicle as often as possible and allow it to run for five minutes to prevent battery drain.
Officially from both Honda and REMCO the vehicle is not towable. However, we at Remco have a large number of customers who are flat-towing that vehicle behind their Motor Home and they are not having any issues. Follow the "Emergency Towing" procedures in the owner's manual to a "T" except ignore the restrictions and follow those procedures each and every time you tow. NOTE: If you choose tow your Honda, and have any damage to the Transmission as a result, you will have to pay for that expense out of pocket. It is nothing that Honda or Remco will warranty. Also, it should be noted that Remco sells no aftermarket product (Lube Pump or otherwise) to make this car towable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom