Tire inflation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The road calls to me

I have been reading about inflation. And some believe you have to check your weight on each corner of the RV to get true  inflation, besides what it says on tire? That is a 4 place check. Any thoughts about this. I have good gages from towing with the boat and H.D pick up truck thru the years.

I have real all sorts of theories.  IMHO weigh the front axle and set the pressure of both front tires to accomodate that.  Same for the rear axle.

For me the reason to weigh all four is to make sure that I am 1) loaded properly from right to left and 2) that I can get my tire pressure right.

If for example I was 2000 pounds heavier on the left rear vs right rear, I would want to reload the vehicle a little bit to equalize that.

First of all, the psi shown on the tire sidewall is NOT the recommended pressure for any & all applications. The definition of the sidewall wording varies a bit depending on tire type, but basically it states the tires maximum load carrying capacity and the psi needed to support that max load.

Second, federal law requires that your vehicle will come with a placard that gives the recommended tire pressure for the OEM tires on that particular vehicle. Generally that recommended  pressure (psi) will accommodate the vehicles maximum rated load (if a truck, SUV or RV) or typical passenger loading (passenger cars).

For most purposes you can use the vehicle makers recommended tire psi and feel safe. However, the psi may be more than is really necessary or even desirable, so it is often possible to optimize the psi on front & rear tires for that particular vehicle and load. To do that, you would need actual vehicle loading (weight) and the tire manufacturers load/inflation table, which shows the minimum pressure needed for a given weight on the tire. Actual weights need to be axle by axle, or (better yet) tire by tire. If you have axle weights you can come up with a pretty good estimate for tire loads, but with individual tire weights you know exactly what you need.

Tire experts recommend that the inflation be somewhat greater than the minimum for the estimated load, but you will hear all kinds of theories about how much more is desirable. I'll leave that subject for a later debate.

Stay with the placard PSI if you don't know your weight yet.  You do NOT want your tires underinflated, as that can cause overheating and catastrophic tire failure (as in the tire shredding apart at highway speeds).

Once you get your rig weighed, either each axle or all 4 corners if possible, then you can possibly lower your tire PSI to improve the ride and still safely carry the weight you are hauling.  RV's can be weighed at truck stop scales (a small fee is usually charged), or sometimes for free at truck scales found at grain elevators or rock yards... if you have any of those in your area that are open to the public.

On my last long trip, I stopped at the local Love's before hitting the interstate and weighed the rig including my tow dolly and car. Prior to leaving, I had downloaded and printed out the pressure recommendations of the manufacturer from online for the weight of each axle. I did not take the trouble of weighing each individual tire, but if you want to be as accurate and safe as possible, you probably should. I settled for finding the right pressure for front and rear axles. I was quite surprised to find the correct pressure for my loaded coach to be 30 psi less than the placard on the door. It stated I should have 115 psi in the front and 105 in the rear. After weighing and checking the manufacturer's guidelines, I put 80 in the front and 85 in the rear. I was concerned that this was a fairly large difference but went with it.

The biggest benefit of having the proper inflation for me was how well the rig handled on the road when being passed by a big truck. When the tires were inflated to the placard's specifications, the rig was very difficult to control during the time when I was being passed and I had to "lean" into the passing and make sure I always knew when it was going to happen in order to keep the coach in my lane. After reducing the pressure, I had no issues with being passed and the coach felt as though it handled the road a lot better at all times.

The downside of having a considerably lower pressure is worse fuel mileage, but the difference isn't that big.

scottydl and: Gary RVer Emeritus OK so I found a place close by to weigh the RV. But is there a formula how to determine how much air per corner or the 4 corners of the RV. I am not sure how to get to that point. Thanks in advance.

The road calls to me said:
But is there a formula how to determine how much air per corner or the 4 corners of the RV. I am not sure how to get to that point.

Good question... proper PSI, based on your weight, is determined from the tire manufacturer's inflation tables.  You can Google that info or find it on the manufacturer's website pretty easily. 

So if you have Goodyear ABC123 tires (I made up that model number ;)), then search "Goodyear ABC123 inflation table" and you should find the info you need.  The table will be broken down by weight ranges, and give you the PSI that should be apply.  If you weigh the axles and not the individual corners, then just do the math appropriately and divide by the number of tires on any given axle to find your approximate numbers.

Look at the Michelin or Goodyear RV Towing Guide for help on this.
www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf
http://www.michelinrvtires.com/reference-materials/tire-guide-warranties-and-bulletins/

The basic rules are:
1. Each tire must have at least the minimum psi specified for its actual loaded weight.
2. All the tires on the same axle must have the same psi.
3. If in doubt, go to a higher psi. You never, ever, want to be low on inflation, but higher is not a problem except for a somewhat stiffer ride.To avoid the possibility of under-inflation due to temporary changes in load or temperature, it is best to exceed the minimum psi by 5-10 psi. This gives some reserve weight carrying capacity.

If you only have axle weights,you can estimate the actual wheel weights by dividing by the number of tires per axle. However, be aware that the weight on an axle is rarely equally divided (50/50), so estimate that one side will be heavier.  I usually assume that 60% of the axle weight will be on one end and choose the psi based on that number.

Thanks Guys for the info. Just waiting for the snow to go away to buy it. Have a long list of stuff to buy if he does not already have it. Getting Viair 400p portable compressor  to carry along.  I think this is a must have. Nice unit. See you down the road.

If the Viair 400p portable compressor stores the air in a tank, it may not the best choice.  Junk gets in the tank and can plug up the tire valves.  If you have a generator you could use a 120V compressor.

Jennifer

Always stick to the recommended tire pressure rating on the tire. Weight is not a factor all tires should be the pressure stated on the tire no more no less

aquadave said:
Always stick to the recommended tire pressure rating on the tire. Weight is not a factor all tires should be the pressure stated on the tire no more no less
92GA said:
  Wrong !
Agreed, it's wrong.

aquadave said:

If you drive an RV, I hope I'm nowhere near you when you have a blowout.

John Stephens said:
If you drive an RV, I hope I'm nowhere near you when you have a blowout.
To be fair inflation to the pressure indicated on the side wall is not going to cause a blowout. Under inflation can overheat a tire and cause a blowout.

Over inflation will though make for a poor ride, can seriously degrade vehicle handling, and will generally cause improper tire wear.

Over inflation can be defined as having too much pressure for a given load. The maximum pressure listed on the side of the tire is proper only if the maximum load is actually on the tire, for lighter loads one should weigh the vehicle and consult the tire manufacturer's weight & pressure tables.

Back
Top Bottom