Which is your favorite, Gros Ventre or Colter Bay Village (NPS no hookups)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

Planning a mid-June arrival in the Jackson area and because I've heard such great things about it currently planning on three nights at Gros Ventre (assuming I can get a spot). However, as I look at another dry camp campground (Colter Bay) as a backup, those sites looks pretty nice also, in fact, many sites look like they have a little more privacy than Gros Ventre, a trade-off perhaps for more sun for solar. (Not sure how much solar sun we'll get mid-June but I suppose it's worth discussing as these are both dry camps and we'll be there several days.)

I'd be interested in opinions from those familiar with both campgrounds, which is your favorite and why? Site size, ability to level your rig, feeling of seclusion from other sites, wildlife through the campground, convenience to other locations, etc. Anything you think is relevant.

We'll be in a 38' motorhome with solar and a toad.

Thanks.

I have never camped at Gros Ventre, but camped many times at Colter Bay. It is located just a few miles from Oxbow Bend which is my favorite spot in the whole world for viewing wildlife. A zoo without bars. ;D I would stay until well after sunset and then drive back to the campground. I don't like driving at night any more than I have to especially in Grand Tetons due to wildlife, especially elk and moose on the highway.

SeilerBird said:
I have never camped at Gros Ventre, but camped many times at Colter Bay. It is located just a few miles from Oxbow Bend which is my favorite spot in the whole world for viewing wildlife.

We're definitely planning on going to Oxbow, so that's something in favor of Colter as it's 8 miles to Oxbow vs. 31 to Gros Ventre.

I've camped at Colter Bay RV Park (FHU), Colter Bay CG (dry) and Gros Ventre (both dry and Electric only)

I like Gros Ventre primarily because we like to also visit Jackson. You can reserve spaces at Colter Bay RV but not at the others. Last year was our first stop at Gros Ventre. The day we arrived there were no electric spots open, but we signed up on the waiting list and were able to move to an electric site the next morning.
Some pluses and minuses:
Colter Bay RV Park. Minus, expensive. Pluses, FHU, long spaces. Your in the trees but the site face the directv satellites so sometimes you can get a signal.
Colter Bay CG. Minuses, sites are parallel to the road, feels more congested. Plus, pretty cheap especially with the senior pass.
Gros Ventre CG. Pluses. Back in sites feel more spacious, dry camp cost same as Colter Bay. Electric only is cheaper that Colter Bay FHU.

Gros Ventre is closer to Jackson for the interesting activities there. I have stayed there a number of times. The sites are big and roomy, well back from the road. Colter Bay is closer to wildlife and Yellowstone. I have only been there once. You can find big sites at both campgrounds.

Back
Top Bottom