Window chip repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8Muddypaws

We got tagged by a flying rock coming home from a club outing.  About an inch long star shaped crack on the passenger side windshield.  How effective are the crack repairs?  Both at keeping it from spreading and making it invisible.

We also had a crack in our windshield, about the same size as your describing.  We called Safelite to do the repairs.  They were professional and did a great job...I can't tell where the repair was made except for a dot about the size of a pin head.  They were a bit pricey, but IMHO, well worth it.

I have two repaired chips one from 2011 and the other one 2016 both holding fine.  The one from 2011 can be seem a little.  Trick is to get them fixed immediately.  Safelite does a great job and most insurance companies will cover the cost.

We've had two "stars" repaired in the last year ourselves - both were about 1" in diameter. If I didn't tell you where they were, I doubt you'd be able to find them. I paid a mobile windshield repair company $90.00 to fix both of them, and he came to our campground near Zion Natl Park to do the work.

Kev

Sounds like most people had good luck but I didn't. I had chip a little smaller than a dime. They tried to fix it but I wasn't happy with it. It didn't help that the chip was right in my line of sight. The insurance company paid for that fix and then ended up paying for a new windshield.

not sure about a motorhome insurance policy,    but our car policy covers windshield repairs 100% and we've had it done a couple times.

Had it done twice, both worked well. I would suggest a top notch provider who has the vacuum setup to ensure star is fully filled, they do not all use this, and it is far better.

Both times it was hard to find the repair. Usually insurance will cover repair, and if there is any problem, they will then cover  a replacement if needed, in my experience.

I would rather repair if possible, the windsheild mount is not disturbed.

They inject some kind of clear resin? epoxy? (not sure of the right term) into the crack to completely fill it, and as mentioned the repairs are usually almost invisible.  The sooner you get to it, the better.  Similar to what others have stated, all of my glass repair issues on cars/RV's in the past have been covered by the Comprehensive portion of my insurance policy.  Usually $0 out of pocket or very low deductible, depending on how you have it set up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom