Cabinets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peggyy

Has anyone added additional cabinets in their camper?  Where do you purchase them.  I also need just a cabinet door.  Would my jayco dealer sell those or do you have to get them custom made?  Thx.

I have added all kinds of cabinets to our trailer including a floor to ceiling unit with four drawers in the bottom an electronic charging station in the middle and shelves with doors on the top.  Also overhead kitchen ones.
made them all myself.
I use ever available space.

Jack L

Previous owner of my coach replace the side by side refer with a standard 8cuft unit.  Made a broom closet out of the extra space. 
We can live with the smaller refer(same as the one in our old coach), so I'm planning on stopping by CoLaw salvage in Joplin Mo to see if they have a pantry door from a unit that came standard with the smaller refer.  If I can find a door, I'm going to upgrade the broom closet to a pantry.

There is nothing unique about the cabinets - you just buy a size/type that fits, or have a cabinet shop make the size & shape you want. They screw to the wall or floor or another cabinet. On the walls you have to locate and screw into a structural member that can support the weight. Just screwing into paneling won't last at all.

You could probably order an existing production size from Jayco's cabinet shop, but chances are it would take several months to get onto their work queue. Their priority is to build for new construction. Maybe a replacement door wouldn't be too long, though.  However, most any competent cabinet shop could match the style and coloring. That's what they do...

Crow's suggestion about RV salvage yards also has good potential. There is a list of RV salvage sources in the RESOURCES section of this site. Click the menu at http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?action=Resources and select 'RV parts & salvage'

I've changed around a few cabinets in out travel trailer.
Bought doors and plastic molding/trim online from EBay, used and reused as much of paneling as I could salvage. 
Turned out well - it did what I wanted to do. 
Many existing cabinets are fastened  to framing from outside on original build before exterior siding is put on
- so you have to find ways to add appropriate framing and bracing so it will not come loose.
Watch out for electric lines and plumbing - as you would on any home remodel project.
Go for it!

KG
  ;D

Back
Top Bottom