Generator issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigblueoval

Just picked up my first motorhome yesterday, a 2002 37 foot dolphin.  I drove it home last night and everything worked fine.  I was going to take the family for a ride and the generator took a long time to crank, when it finally fired, it ran about  1 min and shut off.  I started it again and the same thing.  I tried to start it again and batteries acted weak.  I check them with my fluke and they had 10 volts.  I will replace the batteris. My question is....did the weak batteries make the generator cut off?  3/4 tank of gas in motorhome.

Thanks in advance.

Robbie

bigblueoval said:
Just picked up my first motorhome yesterday, a 2002 37 foot dolphin.  I drove it home last night and everything worked fine.  I was going to take the family for a ride and the generator took a long time to crank, when it finally fired, it ran about  1 min and shut off.  I started it again and the same thing.  I tried to start it again and batteries acted weak.  I check them with my fluke and they had 10 volts.  I will replace the batteris. My question is....did the weak batteries make the generator cut off?  3/4 tank of gas in motorhome.

Thanks in advance.

Robbie
I just bought a 03 Dolphin and it didn't charge the coach batteries on the 5 hour drive home. You might want to charge the batteries before replacing them. Don't know how the generator even started with dead batteries, but the control board needs 12 volts to excite the rotor. I can tell you they want $500.00 for a new battery control center, haven't found one cheaper yet.

thanks, Im going to test them tomorrow and see if they are good.  They look to be pretty new.  Im just wondering if the low voltage is causing the generator to shut off.

How many Total hours on the generator? How many hours since the last service? Once running it should charge the batteries. I would check oil level (automatic shut off), fuel supply, air filter and spark plug.

Yes, weak batteries can cause that problem. The genset relies on 12v power for its fuel pump as well as cranking.

Was the genset running when  you "drove it home last night and everything worked fine"?  If not, then you don't really know if the genset has working fine at that time.  Gensets are prone to troubles that result from lack of use. Fuel evaporates from the carburetor and clogs the jets. Lack of use can also cause internal electrical problems due to the accumulation of moisture (condensation) inside. For that reason, it is recommended to run the genset 30-45 minutes/month under load.

Thanks guys... I was going to change the oil anyway, so I haven't checked the level.  It was running fine at the dealership and ran for several hours there.  I just turned it off on the ride home because I didn't need it .  I am going to test batteries and oil level today.  Genset has 800 hours.

Thanks guys!! Robbie

Just so it may help someone ... It was a little low on oil... Added oil... Works fine

bigblueoval said:
Just so it may help someone ... It was a little low on oil... Added oil... Works fine

Unlike most engines a generator has low oil shutdown. What may seem like a "little low" to you can be A LOT. My generator takes .6 quarts so being just a few ounces low is a lot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom