I may have under priced my truck....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
I made the tough decision to sell my Dodge Ram 2500 diesel long bed pick up.  It is a 2008, and has less than 28,000 on the clock.  We are going back full time, and keeping and storing it for the next 5+ years didn't make sense. 

So I checked a few sites (KBB and Nada) and Googled what the locals were selling for in that range.  I settled on $25K, when I got ready to advertise it.  I didn't get the chance. My best buddy next door told a few people at work about it, and I started getting calls and emails before I had the chance!

I made the deal a few days ago, although I won't be letting it go for a while as I am still cleaning out the house.  I guess maybe I under priced it a bit.......  I was amazed at the resale value for a vehicle that is going on 9 years old.  But with new ones going for $50,000+ I guess it makes sense.  And it is still in excellent condition. 

I know what you mean, Marty. About a year ago I saw an offer from a Dodge dealer wanting used pickups, claiming he'd pay top dollar. My 2007 4WD F-150 Lariat Crew Cab with topper, and about 55,000 miles, brought an offer just over $19,000 -- that's wholesale, to the dealer. But it's still too useful to me to sell, as new ones are so high.

Marty, it would be nice if that same scenario worked when we go to sell our motorhomes. ?

Many jump to buy from someone they know took care of it.  Better than a work truck that was used hard and maybe abused mechanically.  I sold a car in 2 days to a neighbor who said "i know how well it was taken care of".

Sarge I guess you could back out on the deal at possibly the expense of a POed buyer! Did you feel comfortable with the $25K SP??? You could invest that money somewhere and let it grow, say in a 5 yr mature date!!  Or just store it and drive it every so often to keep it lubricated! These are just suggestions however! Best of Luck!  8) 8)

Thanks guys, no I'm not really sad about the deal. I still think it was a fair price, but as it turns out I may have under estimated the current market value a bit. Actually I feel better that it worked out that way instead of the reverse. I would have felt pretty crappy if after the deal I learned that the buyer overpaid and felt taken.  The buyer is a good friend of my neighbor, and my truck was recommended to them by him.  Hey good karma right? 

The fact that so many dealer overprice their products shouldn't make you feel bad about pricing yours realistically.  ;)  That was my experience with my first motorhome.  It sold in a week on Craigslist, priced reasonably, compared to similar ones that dealers had been advertising for months. 

Afterwards I wondered if I could have gotten another couple thousand out of it if I would have waited longer... but then it also might not have sold at all (which at that point, the goal was to sell it!) and I'd end up lowering the price later anyway.  It was nice (although bittersweet) to sell it so quickly, to someone who could afford it and I knew would take care of 'er.  And you know that you didn't fleece anyone along the way.  :)

If you were satisfied with the price when you set it, Sarge, don't second guess yourself, just be happy it went quickly with no hassles. Glad to see you're getting back out here full time!

Thanks guys. I do feel good about the deal. As expected, they went out and immediately put new rubber on her.  She was riding on original rubber, and although they looked like new, they were probably dated from early 08'.  But at the price they got it for, I don't feel bad about it either.  The buyer was in urgent need for a solid truck, and my Dodge fit the bill perfectly.  All's well that ends well. 

Want to see crazy prices, if you can even find a vehicle, 2006 Dodge Diesel 4x4.... I bought mine in 2008 with 40k for $20,000. I've been offered $25k a number of times. I decided to keep it another ten years and just dumped $20k into it. You can read all about this adventure on my web site (link in signature below)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DUSM0518
Back
Top Bottom