Great info about Domicile & Mailing Address for Fulltimers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AStravelers

Thanks for posting - that's one of the better articles I've seen on this subject. At least, up to the point it rambles off into the complexities of financial institutions and business accounts.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
Thanks for posting - that's one of the better articles I've seen on this subject. At least, up to the point it rambles off into the complexities of financial institutions and business accounts.

Howard can't help it; he's a recovering lawyer like me.  ;)  I've followed his blog for several years and when he takes on a topic, he's very thorough.

I should have guesses he is an attorney. Domicile is a slippery concept and it takes a lawyer (or an engineer) to sort through and decode how it applies to itinerant RVers.  He is also much better at explaining things in layman terms than most lawyers or engineers.

An excellent article!  Contains the ammunition that one may need with banks etc.  Gonna print this one as a keeper.  Thanks for posting it.  Linda

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
I should have guesses he is an attorney. Domicile is a slippery concept and it takes a lawyer (or an engineer) to sort through and decode how it applies to itinerant RVers. 

I wouldn't say an engineer is the last person I'd ask to decode the laws about domicile, but it sure wouldn't be at the top of my list.

I will quibble with this statement from the article:

Public campgrounds will never accept mail for you unless you are working or volunteering there.

There was a county park that accepted packages for me, and I was just staying there.  Never say never.

OK in generalities, what some of use want is real $ cost per each of the 3 states. registration fees, health insurance costs, renewing drivers licences, etc.  For example I spoke to a gentlemen last year that has the same identical coach as mine and he said he pays $600 per year in S. Dakota for the coach's registration, and has to be physically back in the state every 5 years to renew his drivers license.  Where as Fla. the registration cost is very minor, and you can renew your license thru your mail forwarding service.  IMO thinks like these go a long was to making a contentious decision as to what sate for home domicile. 

Cant Wait said:
OK in generalities, what some of use want is real $ cost per each of the 3 states. registration fees, health insurance costs, renewing drivers licences, etc.  For example I spoke to a gentlemen last year that has the same identical coach as mine and he said he pays $600 per year in S. Dakota for the coach's registration, and has to be physically back in the state every 5 years to renew his drivers license.  Where as Fla. the registration cost is very minor, and you can renew your license thru your mail forwarding service.  IMO thinks like these go a long was to making a contentious decision as to what sate for home domicile.
If you truly want that specific info, I suggest you open a new topic with detailed info about your needs.  You will get many more informed replies that way than adding your question to an open topic about general fulltimeing costs. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winger84
Back
Top Bottom