Newbie Question: Water Heater Anode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougar3514v

When draining the hot water tank for winterization last fall, I noticed the manufacturer had some white paste-like material on the threads of the water heater anode.  I was wondering what if anything people used to seal the hot water heater anode threads.  Does Teflon tape tolerate the heat?

-Dave

Teflon tape is OK, but pipe dope is better.

Thanks, Tom.  I wanted to avoid leaks and avoid burning down the 5'er.

-Dave

I would think for an anode pipe dope would be better,  The problem is teflon tape is TOO GOOD. believe it or not, you need to have an electrical connection IIRC

You're right John, although there's a school of thought that says that the thread will be cut through when the anode/plug is tightened up, thereby making the connection.

Tom said:
You're right John, although there's a school of thought that says that the thread will be cut through when the anode/plug is tightened up, thereby making the connection.

Use a continuity tester to check the connection between the anode head and the body of the heater tank.  Simple enough to do.

Thanks, everyone.  A continuity check should do it.  Now if I could just remember where I put that multimeter...  :D  You'd think that with the smaller amount of square footage in a camper, I wouldn't misplace stuff so much.

-Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom