Destination suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RV Chick

Our original vacation destination for this summer had to be nixed and now we need to come up with plan B. I'd love suggestions of places to go. We only have a week in mid July and would be starting in Ohio. We have a 10 yr old son and a 2 yr old active lab mix dog. Thanks!

Fort Wilderness at Disney World. Lots to do in the Orlando area. Disney World, Universal Studios, Kennedy Space Center, Gatorland, Legoland, and Fort Wilderness is one of the nicest RV parks I have ever seen.

That's our September vacation  :D. We've heard a lot of great things about that campground.

There are an awful lot of wonderful lakes in Wisconsin and Minnesota. You could camp in a primitive FS campground or a full featured resort with planned activities depending on your preferences.

Try mammoth cave in Ky.  Lots of fun things to do in the area for a 10 year old.  Jelly stone was fun for our grandsons and a few local fun parks with gocarts, mountain slide and horseback riding.  I do not see where in Ohio you are from, but it should only be a one day trip to get there.

RV Chick said:
That's our September vacation  :D. We've heard a lot of great things about that campground.
September is a much better month to visit Orlando, not as crowded or as warm. The campground is clean enough to eat off the roadway. No other campground even begins to compare. I suggest getting the official guide and reading it before you leave, especially the part about Fast Passes:

https://www.amazon.com/Birnbaums-2017-Walt-Disney-World/dp/1484737776/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1489671736&sr=1-1&keywords=disney+world

RV Chick said:

Yeah and Fort Wilderness is something like $110/night?!?!?  :eek:  For me, camping prices like that defeat the purpose of bringing your own RV... plus I'm not a big fan of the manufactured joy "Disney machine", but I digress. ;)

July & August are great months to camp in Michigan.  Our absolute favorite spot is Covert Beach Campground (Here's their website but it doesn't do justice to the scenery) which is located in southwest Michigan, right along the eastern shore of Lake Michigan.  It's as close as you can get to an ocean without being at the ocean... soft, sandy beaches, real waves on windy days, and breathtaking sunset views over the lake.  The campground itself is in a wooded area still on sand (never knew that was possible until I went to this place), and a 2 minute dune-crossing away from the water.  South Haven is neat harbor town that's about 5 miles away, and has a lot of regional shopping, restaurants, and local events.

We took a couple trips to Fort Wilderness from PA when the kids were young, nice park. It is a couple days each way from OH though so rather than burn 4 days out of your week I would suggest much closer destinations so you have more time to play. Perhaps Lancaster, Hershey, PA area, check out the Strasburg Railroad (steam train, https://www.strasburgrailroad.com)

Travel time takes up a lot of your week, so somewhere in Ohio would be good. You didn't say what part of Ohio you are from.

There is supposed to be a wildlife area east of Columbus operated by the Columbus Zoo. It is an area which was previously strip mined and has been converted to an area which has a population of exotic wild animals from Africa. There are daily bus trips through the area where you can see the animals in the wild and safely. It might be expensive. There are campgrounds, both bare and full in the area. You and your 10 year old should enjoy it. I don't know about the dog. The bus trips are limited, so a study and reservations might be necessary.

I have not been there, but I have been thinking about going.

Sun2Retire said:
We took a couple trips to Fort Wilderness from PA when the kids were young, nice park. It is a couple days each way from OH though so rather than burn 4 days out of your week I would suggest much closer destinations so you have more time to play. Perhaps Lancaster, Hershey, PA area, check out the Strasburg Railroad (steam train, https://www.strasburgrailroad.com)

Lots of good stuff in the area Scott suggested. It's close enough for us to be able to go there from home just for a day trip in the car.

I too agree with Scott and Kdbgoat that Lancaster/Hershey are great areas to visit with lots to do. I also live within an hour of each and have stayed at Oak Creek and Lake n' Woods CG's in Lancaster area and also stayed at the Hershey CG which are all very nice although the trains come through Hershey at all hours of the day and night. Free shuttles to the Hershey Park is convenient and saves paying to park and they also offer discounted ticket prices.
Joe

The area that I was describing is:

The Wilds  Safari park in Ohio

The Wilds is a private, non-profit safari park and conservation center that combines cutting-edge conservation science and education programs with hands-on experiences and one-of-a-kind adventures that ... Wikipedia

Address: 14000 International Rd, Cumberland, OH 43732
Opened: 1994
Area: 14.3 mi?
Phone: (740) 638-5030

I thought of the Mammoth Cave area too!  Haven't stayed at Jellystone as it is close to home and we don't have children to entertain either.  Kentucky Down Under is an Australian place with kangaroos and birds.  The National Corvette museum is in an adjacent county as well as Barren River Lake.  Depending on your route My Old Kentucky Home/Stephen Foster Story in Bardstown and Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington.

If you should do the Lancaster/Hershey PA trip, we really enjoyed the Strasburg Railroad and there is a huge railroad museum last fall.

Are you looking for major amusement type things or camping and nature type things?

Shelia

Check to see if there's anything going on at Purina Farms just outside St. Louis.  They have full hookups for free and a lot of interesting activities.  It's about 20 minutes from Six Flags which has a Jelly-stone campground within walking distance.  And, Bennett Spring State Park is about 2 hrs. away and worth the trip.
Or, there are several nice campgrounds near Old Hickory Lake just north of Nashville.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!  We are in NW Ohio and don't mind driving somewhat but would like to be able to do it in a day (even if it's a long day). Since we are doing the Disney thing in September we are looking for more relaxing nature type vacation.  We haven't been to the Wilds but have camped at the AEP recreation land back in our tent days and loved it! We've talked about doing Mammoth Cave for a long weekend during spring break so I'll definitely check out the Jellystone park. Has anyone done the Outer Banks in NC?

RV Chick said:
Thanks for all of the suggestions!  We are in NW Ohio and don't mind driving somewhat but would like to be able to do it in a day (even if it's a long day). Since we are doing the Disney thing in September we are looking for more relaxing nature type vacation.  We haven't been to the Wilds but have camped at the AEP recreation land back in our tent days and loved it! We've talked about doing Mammoth Cave for a long weekend during spring break so I'll definitely check out the Jellystone park. Has anyone done the Outer Banks in NC?
I have camped at Ocracoke and it is fantastic, especially the bird life. Beautiful scenery. But the weather might not be right at this time of year.

You might like the Hocking Hills/Old Man's Cave area in southern Ohio. Trails and activities a 10 yr old would love.  Short trip since you only have the week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom