Black tank coating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolsout2

While dumping the black tank, a piece of material came out that I cannot identify.  It is about 1/16 thick an very uniform in thickness.  It breaks apart easily like shale, it looks like it was formed in layers.  One large piece is rounded like it was in the corner of the tank.

Is there a coating inside the tank, or could this be build up?  Any thoughts?  I have electric toilets.

I would say build up especially where you say it's rounded like a corner. A corner would probably be the hardest place to remove crap once it sticks there.

Rene T said:
I would say build up especially where you say it's rounded like a corner. A corner would probably be the hardest place to remove crap once it sticks there.
Yep, crud builds up in layers when it dries out. Good part is that it broke away, suggesting it is not a solid sheet on the bottom &  walls of the tank but just some build up in the corner(s).

It should help to always keep some liquid in the tank.  I always add a few gallon of water after emptying.  I recall a seminar at a rally once where the guy recommended you never empty your tanks on departure from a campground, but that you empty them ON ARRIVAL. His reasoning was that as you drive air circulating via the vent would dry to crud on the tank walls resulting in build up & non-working sensors ...if they are covered with liquid that cannot happen.

Thanks for the reply.  This is a new to us MH and I was concerned.  I always keep water in the tank, often just to slosh around while traveling..  I will continue to watch the discharge and see if it clears up.

schoolsout2 said:
Thanks for the reply.  This is a new to us MH and I was concerned.  I always keep water in the tank, often just to slosh around while traveling..  I will continue to watch the discharge and see if it clears up.

Letting the water slosh around is a good thing.
Where this is new to you, you no idea how the previous owner took care of the tanks. If You planning on letting the MH sit for a few weeks, I would fill them all the way up with fresh water and add some Ridex or one of the Roebic products, e.g. #57, but RidEx or other septic system cleaner works fine too.  I know Gary B leans towards using Roebic products. I did find them at Walmart a couple of years ago.

Back
Top Bottom