onan 7.5 Kw generator won't stay running.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unchained Melody

I have a 1999 American Eagle coach with a 7.5 onan KDKAJ QD generator. It starts right up then shuts down as soon as I release the start button. It started and ran fine in sub zero weather in December, but now it won't stay running in Florida. I've checked coolant and oil levels and they are O.K. since servicing the unit in September. It started to run a little rough last time it was used, then shutdown. Any ideas? Thanks.

First, welcome to the RVForum. All Onans that I know of will flash a series of lights on the generator start switch when something is wrong. The number of flashes corresponds to a fault code to help diagnose the problem. Is yours flashing?

Kev

Diesel? does it have a separate fuel tank? check the filter and water separator maybe drain the fuel and try injector cleaner. something else to check is the ignition switch. lots of times engines have an ignition switch bypass on the start solenoid so the injector/ distributor depending on diesel or gas gets power from the solenoid then switches back to the ignition switch after it starts that's so all power go for starting. It can be the switch itself doing the same instead of the solenoid. If it is firing right up then shutting down that is a good place to start. It could also be though rare a blockage in the fuel return line   

About 4 years ago shortly after changing the oil and coolant my generator cut off and would start run for a very short while and then abruptly stop.  Long story short the converter failed and was shorted.  (progressive industries converter)  Took me a little while to figure out it was an issue with the "load" and not a generator issue.  (shortly after meaning driving back to the storage yard after performing the maintenance...so minutes later)

As others have said earlier (read the trouble codes if any.

Mike

You should check the light on the start switch at the generator for CODES.
Those should get you started in the right direction rather than totally guessing.

As Kevin mentioned earlier.

thx Dale

Back
Top Bottom