Towing a Jeep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bagelboy

I currently have a 2016 32' Class C Holiday Rambler that I really like. my wife and I are deciding we need a toad because we make frequent trips back and forth to Florida. Our Class C gets a solid 8 MPG, and since we are doing 6 or 7 trips to Florida a year, we rely on our mileage and budget accordingly. A friend recently offered us a beautiful 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's curb weight is 3950 pounds and would make a great toad. My question is how it will affect gas mileage? Traveling 3000 miles round trip, going from 8 MPG to 6 or 5 could have some serious affect on our budget. Of course, because a lot of it is highway driving, I'm hoping pulling the jeep will not have as negative affect. Any ideas?

I'd be surprised if your mileage varied by more than 1/2 mpg on flat freeway driving

I have always pulled a toad. Over the years I have had 4 class A MHs. I agree with Scott, my mileage never decreased by more than 1/2 mpg on any of my MHs. I constantly compare mileage with my two brothers who also pull toads and the three of us agree we do not notice any significant difference pulling or not.

My toad is 4,000lb and it takes a little bit over a 1/2 mpg to tow it.

My coach mpg is 7.1 mpg but I figure it gets 14.2 mpg when pulling a toad. Why?

Because two vehicles get there for the same amount of fuel.

I'm thinking about pulling two toads and getting 21.3 mpg.

When towing or driving, the biggest factor, other than how you drive, is how much air must be moved to allow you to travel.  Weight would be #2 and rolling resistance next.  When towing, wind resistance becomes a non issue as the MH has already pushed a big hole into the air.  More power is needed to get the extra weight moving, but once up to speed, very little energy is needed to maintain speed.  That is why the mileage difference is so small.

I've towed a 2005 Grand Cherokee for about nine years now. However, since I always tow I can't be much help on mpg lost when towing, but I agree, it's probably insignificant. My GC comes in at about 4,500 pounds.

You should check the owner's manual under "Recreational Towing" to see if the 2004 is towable 4-down and how to set it up for towing if it is. Jeep had a big change between 2004 -2005 model years and I didn't research 2004 and earlier.

Quillback 424 said:
You should check the owner's manual under "Recreational Towing" to see if the 2004 is towable 4-down and how to set it up for towing if it is. Jeep had a big change between 2004 -2005 model years and I didn't research 2004 and earlier.

Definitely should check the manual, but here's a quick check: if the transfer case has a neutral position it can probably be towed. If it doesn't, it almost certainly cannot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom