What to check on tax forms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6x16inside

There is always the question of "Did you reside in the state at least 6 months of the year" on tax forms.  What do I check next year if I end up only spending 4-5 months in the state?  Does entering and exiting the state multiple times count?
Right now, I only plan on a few day or 2-3 day trips, one full week trip and continuing with my job and current lease in the interim.  I'm not sure both my sons are entirely into this possible full timing and might sign another 6 months in case travelling around ends up not being their cup of tea.

I'd think, if you were working remotely, but your check was coming from your home state you wouldn't have to file in the part time state. 
We did 5 months in Arizona as camp hosts last year.  My only income other than social security was the host job in Arizona and seasonal unemployment from Arkansas.  I filed Arkansas state as a resident(my home address), and Arizona as a non-resident.
The Arkansas return made provisions for income earned out of state and ignored it when figuring taxes.  The Arizona return taxed only the income from the host job and ignored the SS and UI.  The Feds taxed all of it.

Key words are "reside", the meaning of which can vary depending on the state, and "6 months". If you come and go all the time and have no permanent presence there, you may not actually "reside" there at all. And if you do, "6 months or more" means just that. Typically, though, if you have leased or owned property there, or a job, you will be considered to be "residing" there whether actually and physically present or not.  Visiting another state doesn't change that.

The reality is that this question cannot be answered out of context; it must be answered per the specific state's laws and your specific situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom