Locking an RV door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6x16inside

I don't seem to have a key to the door and it doesn't even stay closed while motoring down the highway.  I can add a strong padlock inside for once we are tucked in but what do I need to do outside so one of us doesn't always have to stay home.  92 Holiday Rambler Imperial 37

Have you tried to find a lock assembly online?  Maybe this will help you get started:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=vintage+rv+door+lock+mechanism&*&spf=64

In the meantime, use some Velcro tape to tie it closed from the inside.  I once had trouble with my then brand-new motorhome's side door not latching properly.  Had it adjusted twice by dealer.  Still could open it even with both locks locked.  Complained to factory customer service via phone and email as I was driving alone through Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, etc.  Tried to find dealer who would really, really fix it, but even factory customer service could not get anyone to fit me in their tight schedules.

Short story: door popped open when I hit a bump in Rocky Mountain National Park at 55 MPH.  As it slammed against the side of my motorhome, the automatic steps deployed and hit a log on the edge of the road that the park service had put there to prevent people from pulling off to view elk.  Bottom step was not 4" to the rear of top step so it would not retract.  Door was not damaged, but vehicle not driveable with step sticking out.  Fleetwood paid for having it removed and getting it banged back into shape.  Gave me new steps but that took 8 months! 

You might be able to fix the problem of it not staying closed. The most likely cause is that the latch bolt is not properly engaging the strike plate. If you loosen the two screws that hold the strike plate, you will find that there is a considerable range of adjustment. I need to readjust mine about once a year.

Joel

Rene T said:
Have you tried to find a lock assembly online?  Maybe this will help you get started:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=vintage+rv+door+lock+mechanism&*&spf=64

Bought a new assembly across town at a mobile mart that fit perfectly that my awesome 16 yr. old son was able to install.  Haven't gone for a ride to see if if stays locked and closed during driving but it does otherwise shut and lock properly and of course, came with keys unlike the other one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winger84
Back
Top Bottom