Land wanted for 55-and-over RV community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
builderman said:
. . . but please, explain to me what this is all about. Thanks.

From the responses, you pretty much get the picture on SCal -- or most anywhere in CA. I have been a CA resident since the early '60's. Was born in PA, grew up in KY did Navy time in VA, spring breaks in college in FL, took my first job in CO -- and would find it hard to compare "anywhere" I've lived or traveled to the beauty of NCal. Unfortunately, the things that drew me to CA other than my work brought tons of others and that has ruined it for all of us now.

If someone bought property at the right time, they are either property rich now (even after taxes), or have since sold and made a fortune that enabled them to buy a small mansion in other states w/lower tax bases. Very few can buy now because the prices are just too high. Even land all the way out in the Central Valley around I5 is sky rocketing as folk are having commute from that far out into the Bay Area -- and that same thing is happening in SCal for all coastal cities.

I purchased a used MH in Austin a little over a year ago -- and was given X number dollars for my trade-in. Texas did not charge sales tax on that portion of the sale price of the newer rig. Once I crossed the border (at Needles) on my return to NCal the CA tax clock began ticking. I had 20 days to register the MH in CA. Each day past 20 days there would be a 45% penalty. AND, I then had to pay 7.75% sales tax on the value of the trade in. Only two other states charge tax again on an asset that was taxed when purchased.

The "only" reason I remain in NCal vs. moving to AZ, NV, or TX is the Kaiser HMO plan. The more I look for an alternative, the more I am reminded that it is probably hands down the best HMO in the country -- in that others would cost me much more plus I would have more grief with any other plan (e.g. Kaiser Dr's make all decisions of referrals). Close friends that were Kaiser members and have moved out of state who have researched this are in agreement. I recently spent 3 nights in a hospital in Avondale, AZ due to an emergency w/a total billing of over $10,000. Kaiser approved the emergency nature and covered all expenses other than a $550 total co-pay for the 3 day room stay.

If you "do" find land in SCal far enough away from the high expense areas "and" suitable for RV living -- I would suggest locating where the buyer can get to a Kaiser facility. Some will already be in other plans, but having the ability to join Kaiser would be a selling point, for sure. That "would" be a selling point for me. From Quartzsite, AZ or that area a member would have to drive to the Palms Springs area -- and about as far West on the 8 freeway from Yuma to a Kaiser hospital. From Reno, one must drive 100 miles or so to Roseville. That's OK for check ups, but if regular appointments are needed it becomes prohibitive with gas prices approaching $4.00 (saw that price in Needles recently).

When I was younger I had a one bedroom apartment in a high rise overlooking the SF bay and the apartment tennis courts -- at $290/month. Life was good. Those are now condos at over $1,000,000 -- plus one is surrounded by SF politics. :(  If Kaiser moved to NV, AZ, and TX -- I could almost guarantee a mass exodus from CA and my rig would be way up front in the caravan.  ;)

Shayne et al,

We're quite happy living in our relatively quiet part of California. We have a decent climate most of the year and we're able to conduct our outdoor activities (fishing, boating, RVing) year round. There are even quieter places to live in CA. Yes, we've lived in busier places in CA, but that was one reason we moved (twice) to more rural areas. I couldn't imagine living in, for example, AZ year round or, for that matter, in cold country, but each to his/her own. Living somewhere where you either stay indoors in a/c for half the year or move out of town isn't for us. Doesn't mean there's anything "wrong" with other folks liking it. I guess I just don't understand the "CA bashing".

BTW we've lived here for 26 years.

[edit]Fixed typo.[/edit]

Bob, you can get Kaiser in Oregon. Not as warm as your other choices but pretty nice in the summer and you can always go south in the winter and take care of you medical needs in the summer.

Tom said:
I guess just don't understand the "CA bashing".

I don't understanding 'bashing' any state. I don't want to live in California. I also don't want to live in Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Illinois, Georgia or Texas. But that's just me. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't want to travel in any of those states.....I've traveled in all of them and would do so again.

wendycoke said:
Tom lives in northern California....an entirely different place from southern California. And you know, there really are a lot of great places to see in California. Yeah, ok, gas is more there than pretty much anywhere else in the lower 48 states but you just have to learn to deal with that. And there are plenty of places RVers can stay in California for a reasonable prices. We just spent the winter mostly in California and our average nightly camp fee was $6.58 per night.

JMO
Wendy

I never thought I'd find myself defending California.

Wendy and others, I take great offense to all your California Bashing. I have lived and traveled all over the 50 states and I chose to live in Southern California for a number of reasons mainly relating to quality of life. My taxes are very reasonable, I enjoy at least 330 days of good golf and outdoor weather, we have great medical care for those in need like my disabled wife, and I have enjoyed great financial gain.

I fail to get your point that Southern California that so infrerior to Northern California. Yes there are different but I don't see where I am living in some substandard sewer down here.

So go ahead and bash on!!!!!

Bob

Me too Wendy. Heck, I spent many years traveling extensively in Europe, the USA and Asia. There are numerous places on each continent that I've often thought would be a nice place to live. At the end of the day, I usually figured that the grass is always greener.

Wendy,

I didn't read any of your messages as bashing CA or any other state.

I don't recall bashing CA, I stated we lived here for a short time and decided it wasn't for us.  We didn't have the advantage of long term property ownership and the huge capital gains that others have experienced, in fact we lost about $20k in one year on our condo.  The other costs of living and doing business in CA were just too much for us.  We still come back to visit friends almost every year, as I said, and don't begrudge those who like living there.

We came from the midwest where things like insurance, vehicle registration, and taxes were much more reasonable, and CA was really culture shock for us.  It was just too high a price to pay for a nice view :)

Ned said:
.....A was really culture shock for us.

I doubt it was any more of a culture shock than for us moving from a quiet, inexpensive part of the UK to Silicon Valley ;)

Tom said:
I doubt it was any more of a culture shock than for us moving from a quiet, inexpensive part of the UK to Silicon Valley ;)

Or going from Death Valley where we had 30 neighbors to San Antonio which was the 9th largest city in the country.

Different strokes for different folks. Shoot, I live in a town with 7000 people and I feel like it's too crowded.

LOL Wendy. Sounds like you live in a similar sized place to us.

When we lived in the UK I used to drive 20 miles to work and not see another car. So, when I took a non-elective university class that included a module called "The economics of traffic congestion", I couldn't understand when or where I'd ever find an application for the theory. When we moved to the SF Bay area I finally understood  ;D

See, Tom, all knowledge has value, you just have to wait for the right time to use it.

Isn't that a fact Wendy. Unfortunately, Bay area planners didn't take the same class  ;D

BTW while we lived (for 30+ years) in our quiet part of the UK, we used to joke that it rained 366 days a year  ;D

LOL Ned. I guess you haven't picked up on my occasional "sunny South Wales" comments when replying to Brits here. We arrived in CA July 2 and, on July 3, I did what I had always done - got out of bed and looked out the window to check the weather. Oh, the sun is shining! July 4, same story. July 5, same again. The routine was repeated every day until I concluded "the sun shines here every day"  ;D

I am another that did not feel I was bashing CA or anyplace else.  I was just expressing my opinions based on my experience.  Everybody has their likes and dislikes as well as preferences,  Just because our likes/dislikes or preferences differ doesn't indicate any bashing is intended. Facts are facts, it is more expensive to travel in CA, In many areas it is very congested, and housing costs are much higher.  However there are other places that have the same but they were not located in the Southwest which is where folks are talking about.  No offense was ever intended we were asked a question and folks expressed their opinions.  It just happened many expressed similar opinion.  I wouldn't consider that bashing and hopefully it would not be taken as such.

Guess I'm the basher  and only stated my opinion yet I gave tribute to many peoples there, which was totally overlooked.  As for Tom getting out of Dodge this was a bit tongue in cheek and should probably have emphasised that. can't help the way I feel it's way too expensive for me to live or visit there. As far as spending time there, What I have has been too much for me Even with all the beautiful places there. for that matter I don;'t want to spend time in Alaska either, but thats not for me.  If you want to go to any of them thats up to you I just voiced my opinion and that won't change.

Tom, I'm well aware of your "sunny South Wales" :)  Thus my comment.  We experienced much the same thing coming from WI where rain means running water in the street, not drops 6" apart.  We did miss the thunderstorms.

Back
Top Bottom