Black water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajhintz

Black water tank-how do I really cleaned it good-I think I have some buildup-we bought it used?

Install one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-Tornado-Rotary-Rinser/dp/B000BUU5TU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489710511&sr=8-1&keywords=tornado+rv+tank+flush

Where this is new to you, you no idea how the previous owner took care of the tanks. If You planning on letting the MH sit for a few weeks, I would fill them all the way up with fresh water and add some Ridex or one of the Roebic products, e.g. #57, but RidEx or other septic system cleaner works fine too.  I know Gary B leans towards using Roebic products. I did find them at Walmart a couple of years ago.

Filling them up 1/4 way then driving home letting the water slosh around helps too.

You don't mention where you live, but if it's an area that can still get freezing temps, I'd wait a while. When you put water in the tank, it will fill up the drain pipe down to the drain valve. This will most likely freeze and with no expansion room, crack the pipe and most likely the valve assy. The same goes for the grey water setup.

I live in Arizona ? I just drove home from an outing - but before I got on the road on number of people told me to use 30 pounds of crushed ice - One told me Rid-x but also said that yeast would do the job

Adding that stuff should soften everything up a bit.  When you are ready for your next trip, drain it out but leave about 1/3 behind.  Or dump it all out and then refill with several gallons of water.  That will enable it to slosh around and get everything mixed up, so by the time you arrive somewhere, it will dump out. 

I had problems one year with a "pile of TP" after some company stayed with me.  I found a back road where I could stop suddenly, swerve from left to right, etc. and whatever it took to get things moving around.  (Chose a back road so no one would think I was drunk making those moves.)  When I came back to my full hookup site, there was a huge gush, and it all came out. 

Another possibility that I read on here, I believe, was the use of a mixture of Dawn dishwashing liquid and Calgon water softener. A search or comments from others may lead you to the post.

Why do you think it has some build-up? Any real symptoms, or just a bit of paranoia about former owners? 

As Rene said, filling the tank with fresh water and adding Rid EX or Roebic is a good way to get a general clean-up of tank walls, sensors, etc. Let it soak 3+ days and then flush out well. Can't hurt and doesn't take much effort.  Rid Ex is widely available, but Roebic is nearly so (Lowes, many hardware stores, etc) and Roebic makes tailored products for various purposes. Their K37 and K57 products do well on Rv systems, and they also have a product tailored for RVs.
http://www.roebic.com/rv-marine-black-water-treatment.shtml

I've used both RidEx and Roebic products with similar results.

fill it 1/4 water, add liquid drain cleaner 1/4-1/2 bottle (it will not hurt your system), dump 50-100lb of ice in the toilet. drive it around about 30 min, fill the tank with water drive another 30 min -1 hr drain your tank. The draino will dissolve toilet paper and harden crap. The ice will beat anything stuck to the tank. cheap easy and should be regular maintenance at the end of each season 

Back
Top Bottom