Windshield crack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Papabear1947

Suddenly noticed a crack in lower part of front windshield.  It is about 12 inches long and not in a position to interfere with line of sight.  Contacted local safelight for repair and they tell me if it is longer than a dollar bill they cannot help.  Have repaired a very small 3" crack before on driver's side but would like some suggestion for this longer crack.

get a new windshield ... the crack is only going to get worse . And then you will very possibly end up with a ticket AND still needing to get it fixed ( a lot of states also give out what known as a FIX IT TICKET . meaning , no ticket paid IF fixed within a specified amount of time )

Check your insurance.

Some states like mine require the insurance companies to provide mandatory windshield replacement with the insurance even for cracks.

In other words, if anything happens to my windshield, my insurance company is obligated to cover the cost of replacing it, even without collision or comprehensive, it's just some unique state law. I think it was put into effect decades ago, to keep people working with a safe way to get there. I do know as early as the 70's it was mandatory coverage in my state and still is to this day.

The windshield repair guys love this because they leave their business cards all over broken or cracked windshields telling folks they can get their windshield repaired for free.

Not trying to change the subject here , but what state do you live in  ?  I live in Iowa and sure wish we had that law about windshield replacement and insurance companies.

Papabear, I just read a post here about rust around the window frames on earlier model Winnebagos causing cracks in the windshield. My 1999 Adventurer has it as well as an unusual crack on the top right hand corner of the passenger side. As stated Florida has a "free" windshield change policy. (nothing is really free..we just pay more for the policy!) I do have rust on the bottom rail and probably around the top as well. It is on my list.

captcosmic said:
Papabear, I just read a post here about rust around the window frames on earlier model Winnebagos causing cracks in the windshield. My 1999 Adventurer has it as well as an unusual crack on the top right hand corner of the passenger side. As stated Florida has a "free" windshield change policy. (nothing is really free..we just pay more for the policy!) I do have rust on the bottom rail and probably around the top as well. It is on my list.
if I were you I would move it to the top. This is a California dry climate coach and look what I had.

Pix one
Pix two
Pix three

Sorry about the long links but I don't have all night to convert these pix on an iPhone to fit on the forum server

edit by staff - cleaned up long links

SCVJeff said:
if I were you I would move it to the top. This is a California dry climate coach and look what I had.

Pix one
Pix two
Pix three

Sorry about the long links but I don't have all night to convert these pix on an iPhone to fit on the forum server

edit by staff - cleaned up long links

Other things are in line. I got a crack in my exhaust manifold, tires and taxes all with a move coming up. :) I dont think mine is so ugly as yours, but .. wont be for sure until I get the windows out. Hopefully the move will be to a place where my RV is at home and not in a storage lot.

captcosmic said:
Other things are in line. I got a crack in my exhaust manifold

Do you have the 8.1L Vortec? Are they susceptible to manifold cracks and if so is there a spot where they usually occur?

captcosmic said:
Other things are in line. I got a crack in my exhaust manifold, tires and taxes all with a move coming up. :) I dont think mine is so ugly as yours, but .. wont be for sure until I get the windows out. Hopefully the move will be to a place where my RV is at home and not in a storage lot.
i didn't expect to see that at all! After all, this is California, a relatively dry climate that's been in drought for years. Quite a suprise! And you can't see it until the glass is out

Back
Top Bottom