Florida Keys Suggestions Around April 30th For a Week or so

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

I know this is short notice, but my dear friend a musician and bicyclist bought a rig I picked out for him long distance because I just thought the layout was perfect for his lifestyle. His 26 year old car was becoming cantankerous. Me and my big mouth... I said you know as much stuff as you haul around and your love of travel, why not ditch the car in favor of a camper van?

He doesn't do internet and I found the Pleasureway one day  practically begging him to go see it promptly as these used van campers are wildly popular and the used ones in good shape without a ton of miles are even rarer to find unless you have super deep pockets. This one seemed priced to sell quickly.  ;D

It's a 2002 Pleasureway van camper, 21 feet, with full bath, kitchen, generator etc. Room for his bike and music gear too. Only major problem was buying a new fridge, which I pushed him to do, as what's the fun of owning a camper if the fridge is dead? So he bit the bullet and put in a new 3 way fridge, it's awesome.

He is turning 70 April 30th, so we've decided to go to the Florida Keys in his new rig and celebrate for a week or more. We're hoping to find overnight stays of 2 nights or more per place so we can enjoy bike riding, hiking, swimming, snorkeling,  as well as some day tripping and bar hopping.

Thus far we snagged 2 nights at Coral Reef State Park. I am checking the 4 state parks every few hours in case anything opens up for us. Those 2 nights appeared suddenly yesterday and we grabbed them.

I imagine that the Keys don't want folks sleeping on the streets... but wondering if we ended up "taking a nap" somewhere in the middle of the night, if we are likely to end up in jail or just told to shuffle along? Of course we had thought about partying all night and sleeping by day as no one cares where you park during daylight.  ::)

Now we are also wanting to consider any privately owned RV parks and asking about suggestions.

We found space at one, Thousand Trails, that is *only*  :eek: $462 for 5 nights. The only time I stayed at a Thousand Trails, was years ago near Orlando and the site they gave me was horrible and the maintenance on the place clearly lacking plus they double charged my credit card and it took monumental effort to get them to straighten this out.

Of course we like spacious sites, because we enjoy hanging outside. We're eating some meals at the camper and some at restaurants, a combination plus my crazy little dog is going along for the trip too. He loves the camper van which we've nicknamed the dog house. He rides on my bicycle too and if push comes to shove, we can run the generator if he has to stay in the van on a hot day while we dine out or snorkel.

I know that the Keys are not a bargain, but was hoping late April, early May was past their busy season, but their season probably goes full tilt year round.

Any private RV park recommendations we should start checking out?

Thank you for your help.  ;D

You may luck out being late April, but most commercial parks in the keys are going to be $100 and up per night.  They are booked solid all winter.  You can try a couple of parks on Marathon key but if you want the key West party central it is a long drive.

I just chatted with the office at Geiger Key.

Not a bargain, but small place and lady sounded super nice and helpful, so I am intrigued, she has space.

Anyone stayed there before?

RVparkreviews.com stop at 2012.

We stayed at Jolly Roger RV Park in Marathon. After April 1st they accept Passport America ( I think its $42 at night). Regular Summer rate is also discounted to $65.00.\Older park, but we found it fine as a base to explore the Keys.

Back
Top Bottom